help with wiring push/pull pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with wiring push/pull pot

i have a pearly gates that i am going to use with a push pull pot my guitar only has one volume control. and i was looking at the diagrams on here and saw that there was a few ground wires. my questions where do they all need to go? theres 2 that comes off the pot and then i have to put the central ground from the bridge somewhere on the pot and also need to put the one from my jack on the pot somewhere. my guitar has a les paul type bridge so i dont have anywhere else to run the ground and the second question is which side do i need to put the red and white wire on the back of the pot? there's 6 prongs and i dont know which side is suppossed to be which by looking at the diagram.

Re: help with wiring push/pull pot

Everthing that has a ground symbol, connects together. Traditionally, in schematics, they only show the routing of the "hot" wires, to keep the diagrams uncluttered. Here's an old diagram I made for someone else:

The green line would be the ground. The most important thing is that it connects eventually, to the sleeve terminal of the output jack. Thats the only real "ground" on a guitar.

Wire the push-pull pot like this:

The black line goes to either ground, or the black wire of the pup, depending on whether or not you want the stud coil, or adj. coil. Traditionally, the stud coil is used, so you take that terminal to ground.

Hope this helps.

Artie

Comment

what do push pull pots do? sorry to intercept the post with a somewhat different topic, but im curious and since its already being discussed .. :P

do they split the pickup so you only use one coil or something? if so then wouldnt they need 3 positions or something? i think ive read theyre used for coil tapping

whats the difference between tapping and splitting? thought they were the same
      Electric Guitar: Schecter C-1 Custom, Mahogany body
      HB Experience: EMG 81/Select/HZ-4, Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell, Duncan Jazz/'59/JB/Distortion/LiveWire Classic/LiveWire Metal, Kent Armstrong ULTRA DISTORTION.
      Best Metal pickups (best first): Duncan LiveWire Metal, EMG 81, Kent Armstrong ULTRA DISTORTION, Duncan Distortion, EMG Select.
      Best Clean pickups: Duncan LiveWire Classic, Duncan '59, Duncan Jazz, Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell

Comment

Originally posted by Gugnir
        what do push pull pots do? sorry to intercept the post with a somewhat different topic, but im curious and since its already being discussed .. :P
        yes, it has been discussed .. you could do a search of this forum to learn alot on the topic
        do they split the pickup so you only use one coil or something?
        yes, that is one common use
        if so then wouldnt they need 3 positions or something?
        no, as artie showed, they only need two
        i think ive read theyre used for coil tapping
        yes, that is one common use
        whats the difference between tapping and splitting? thought they were the same
        tapping is the use of a 'tap' wire to lessen the output of one coil of a pickup .. splitting is the use of only one of the coils of a double coil pickup
        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

when i wired my guitar, the ground was the back of the pot.
          Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
          Warmoth Musiclander (Invader/'59 model) see display pic <---
          Jackon Pro Series Dinky w/OFR (EMG 81/60)

Marshall JCM 800 4104 (2xEminence Governor)

Visual Sound Route 808
          Boss SD-1
          Digitech Bad Monkey
          Vox V-847 wah

Comment

Originally posted by flipside
            when i wired my guitar, the ground was the back of the pot.
            The ground is always the sleeve terminal of the output jack. The back of a pot is traditionally used as a "landing pad" to bring several wires together before going to the sleeve of the output jack.

Comment

thanks for all the help i almost have it wired up just one more questioni'm confused on the green wire your talking about and the wire you have witht the green arrow beside it. is it the green wire that comes out of the picup or the one comming from the jack? all i have left to do is run that one from the jack to ground and the green and bare wire from the pickup.

Comment

Either or both. It doesn't matter. The green wire from the pickup and the ground from the jack should be shorted together. They are both "ground". So it doesn't matter which one you connect to the switch. They are both electricaly identical. They are the same point.

Comment

thanks artietoo got it finished and works great.

Comment

Great. Its always nice to get confirmation that something worked . . . for a change.

Comment

Working...
                    X