banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with pot values (p90 neck + tele bridge)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with pot values (p90 neck + tele bridge)

Hello,

I'm new here, I hope you can help me with this question.

I just swapped the humbucker in the neck position of a tele for a Fralin P92 (somehow kind of p90 in a humbucker case). The guitar has 500K pots, and I like the 500K vol pot for the Fralin, but I like to have 250K vol pot for the bridge single (nocaster), so what I have done is putting a 500K fixed resistor between the hot terminal in the bridge pickup to ground.

If I'm not mistaken that gives me 500K load when the neck position is selected an 250K load when either the bridge or middle positions of the switch are selected.

Now I was wondering how to get a higher pot value when in the middle position (maybe not as much as 500K) to bright things a bit, and I was thinking of adding another X ohm fixed resistor in series with the 500K one so that when in the middle position the pickups see 500K // (500k+X), and obtain something like 350K or 400K load in the middle position.

The question is... how should I wire that second resistor?

Between the middle and bridge positions in the switch?

Thanks for your help!

Best,
    Javi

Re: Help with pot values (p90 neck + tele bridge)

What you are describing so far sounds like it should work fine. And I think you can do the second resistor also, but I have to "doodle" a couple things up.

What I need to know is: does your 3-way selector have two sides to it, the way a 5-way does? You know, a second set of switch contacts that aren't being used?

Let me know, and we'll go from there.

(Tonight, when I get off the ship.)

Edit: Oh yeah . . . Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Thanks for the response and welcome, this forum is great!

The switch I have in the guitar right now is the standard tele switch, you know, the one that comes with a two pickup tele.

Like this one, and I have the exact same wiring (except for the 500K pots and resistor to ground from the bridge hot terminal)

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

Thanks again!

Comment

Cool . . . let me chew on this for a bit, and see what I can come up with.

Comment

Working...
        X