Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PRS rotary switch in LP

Originally posted by Stratsky
    Here's the schematic. Let me know if you have questions. The chicken scratch under the pickup diagram showing the colors of the wires is mine and is for the Virtual PAF's.
    Man that's odd, same letter head mine is on, except mine shows series strat in the middle position, I'll have to check the effective production run dates, but i think the one I have predates this one, and then the other one post dates it ... definitely never seen this one before. I guess they couldn't make up their minds ... LOL!
    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
      Man that's odd, same letter head mine is on, except mine shows series strat in the middle position, I'll have to check the effective production run dates, but i think the one I have predates this one, and then the other one post dates it ... definitely never seen this one before. I guess they couldn't make up their minds ... LOL!
      The dates are in the upper lefthand corner, 85 to 89. I like the combinations I get with this and although I don't use the power out of phase that much, I like the sound I get from it.

Comment

I'm really interested in learning how to use the rotary switch actually. I might want to try other positions and find which are the ones more useful.

I might go to the extent of trying 6 way, 3 poles or even more elaborate rotary switch config.

I think the humbucker (neck, bridge) positions are indipensible. I love stratty/tele tones, but yet to find out how to do that on an LP. Which gives you a more authentic strat/tele tone? Inside coils or outside coils, series or parallel, in-phase or out-phase?

Guys, which are the config you find most useful?

Comment

Originally posted by jazzyjoepass
          I'm really interested in learning how to use the rotary switch actually. I might want to try other positions and find which are the ones more useful.

I might go to the extent of trying 6 way, 3 poles or even more elaborate rotary switch config.

I think the humbucker (neck, bridge) positions are indipensible. I love stratty/tele tones, but yet to find out how to do that on an LP. Which gives you a more authentic strat/tele tone? Inside coils or outside coils, series or parallel, in-phase or out-phase?

Guys, which are the config you find most useful?
          I like all the combinations I get though I find that the strat position (one coil from each humbucker in parallel) is a little weak with the Virtual PAF's.

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
            The one's I have are for the old style switch, no pcb involved, so, you'll have to do the magnet flip that Robert described, I'll try to get them transfered to graphics (from paper, don't have a scanner), but it will probably be a couple days ... PM me if you still need them in a days or two.
            You mean with some ingenious rewiring, you can do without a magnet flip? Care to share how that's done?

I'm getting a 59b with nickel covers, i don't know how a magnet flip can be done. I was wishing there's someway I can correct it with some rewiring instead.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzyjoepass
              You mean with some ingenious rewiring, you can do without a magnet flip? Care to share how that's done?

I'm getting a 59b with nickel covers, i don't know how a magnet flip can be done. I was wishing there's someway I can correct it with some rewiring instead.
              Remove the cover and flip the magnet ... otherwise ...
              You would have to turn the pup around backwards and then rewire for the correct coils ...it's much easier to flip the magnet ... although the PRS pups indicate one magnetic polarity the important thing is the one pup gets flipped, and the phase corrected ... If you are using Duncans then flip the magnet on the NECK pup, and then switch the black and green wires on the BRIDGE pup, so the neck black is hot and it's green is ground; the bridge black is groun, and it's green is hot. Then tie the white and red together and this will be your tap line. Then on the PRS schematics their bridge black will be your bridge green, their Bridge white, your bridge black,their red, your red and white; their neck black will be your neck green,their neck white, your neck black, their neck red, your neck red and white. Believe it or not, I did it this way to simplify things. If you are ordering the pups, get the factory to reverse the magnet on the neck pup for you. Warning the magnetic polarities per coil are reversed from PRS pups, don't mix the two, or you'll be back to mag swapping. oh yeah, the wiring I was referring to is for 84 and before, i also included the new wiring, that is still currently used as well, and yes that capacitor is in there on the original.I had to redo these,quickly, so they aren't the prettiest in the world.

Comment

And the current wiring ...

Comment

Thanks the pics with the polarity of the humbuckers helped.

Comment

Working...
                  X