pickups for vatriey in RG550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickups for vatriey in RG550

hey, i have an RG550 and am looking for a selection of pickups so i can cover metal to classic rock.

I currently have a JB in the bridge and stock in the middle and neck, i am up for changing the bridge but i think the JB should be best for me. the only thing making me think about changeing the JB is for playing metal, i would only really use the bridge so i could maybe put a hotter pickup in there.

im thinking a Jazz in the neck (the olf JB jazz combo) but i have no idea about the middle, i dont want a mini humbucker in their.

any suggestions??
    Guitars:
    Jap Fender '71 Tele
    Jackson KV-4

Amp:
    Starfield (Ibanez) SVA-1

Re: pickups for vatriey in RG550

Originally posted by dc_mally
    hey, i have an RG550 and am looking for a selection of pickups so i can cover metal to classic rock.

I currently have a JB in the bridge and stock in the middle and neck, i am up for changing the bridge but i think the JB should be best for me. the only thing making me think about changeing the JB is for playing metal, i would only really use the bridge so i could maybe put a hotter pickup in there.

im thinking a Jazz in the neck (the olf JB jazz combo) but i have no idea about the middle, i dont want a mini humbucker in their.

any suggestions??
    classic stack or a duck in the middle spot bro
    if you want it hotter in the bridge spot go distortion and if i was you with the RG AXE I recomend this is the pup,

PA-TB2 -- A powerful ceramic magnet and extra coil windings give this pickup a punchy singing tone with a clear, articulate high-end and plenty of grind on the bottom. It's a definite crankin' pickup. Available in black only.
    Four conductor cable

this pup KILLS IN A RG
    1957 RI gibson historic black beauty lester(DD/JAZZ)
    2003 gibson zakk wylde custom shop lester (stock EMG)
    1996 gibson lester custom(DD/59 neck)
    1997 fender lone star (DD TB-6/duckbucker/lil 59)
    Marshall ZW 2203 100 watt top
    5150 block letter head
    4 1960B marshall cabs

Comment

if i was to get a classic stack for the middle of my RG would i get the bridge or neck model?? what difference would each pickup make??
      Guitars:
      Jap Fender '71 Tele
      Jackson KV-4

Amp:
      Starfield (Ibanez) SVA-1

Comment

Just out of Interest dc_mally, are you using the pickup selector that came with your Ibanez ? I have a RG570 and have just recieved my new Seymour JB and Jazz, only prob is when I look at the Stock wiring, the stock ibanez pickups have 3 wires, 1 ground and 2 which go to differnt places on the selector. How did you get round this ? any help would be much appriciated. Just thought I would ask as you already have a JB installed.
        Ibanez RG570L 2001 - SD: -JB-CR-Jazz
        Ibanez RG550L 1989? - SD: Dis Dimarzio: Fred
        Ibanez RG550L 1987 - EMG: 81-85
        Jackson RR3L (unknown) EMG: 81-85

Comment

Ducks are good for middle but probably vintage rails (neck version) is better in the middle because it is the same as the duck but with rails instead of pole pieces (rails don't dropout as much during string bends as pole pieces).

The JB is probably good enough but I prefer the Duncan Distortion in the bridge for metal.

Finally for the neck a 59 would be nice--good cleans and great for wolfy solos...

Actually this is the setup I have in my RG 570: 59 neck, Vintage rails in middle and Duncan distortion in the bridge. I find this to be a very versatile guitar.

I use the 59 for finger picking acoustic and rock solos, the vintage rails for strat sounds and mixed with the 59 for acoustic strumming, finally the Distortion handles all of my hard rock and metal needs...

Good luck
          http://www.bubbahotep.com/
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL-D6hUHfsE

Comment

thanks guys, ill look at all suggestions here.

and to 80s i didnt wire it correctly, i just wired it so its not coil tapped on the switch, when i get the other pickups i will probably be taking it to the shop to be wired correctly.

someone elce will know on here though if you make a thread on this.
            Guitars:
            Jap Fender '71 Tele
            Jackson KV-4

Amp:
            Starfield (Ibanez) SVA-1

Comment

Working...
            X