Alnico II Pro Is it worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alnico II Pro Is it worth?

Hello.Well i m going to buy a set of Alnico II pro hambucker and i am asking if it s worth it?Is any1 here using these pickups?

Thnx

Re: Alnico II Pro Is it worth?

I dont have one, but I'd say it's REALLY worth... many in here have it installed and it's also many people's favourite.

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

Hello and Welcome.

To know whether Alnico II Pros are the right pickups for you, it would help to know what guitar you want to put them in, what style of music you play and who your influences are.

I have a set of Alnico II Pros in a '91 Les Paul Classic and they sound great. I use them mostly for 70s-style classic rock and some cleaner bluesy stuff. They have vintage output and are bright and clear, but the alnico II magnets give a sweetness to the top end that prevents them sounding harsh.

If you like Slash's tone these are the pickups to get!

Comment

Simon; How would you compare AII Pro's to 59's?

Comment

The Alnico 2 Pros are great pickups. They are a lot like a modern version of PAFs. They're very warm and have nice full mids. They won't push your amp much; but as you crank up the amp, thy really their character starts to really show...
          -Butch

Comment

Well to be honest Slash is my fav guitarist and i grew up listening to him.I ve learned his style and i ve finished with all the gnr songs.I have a Bc Rich mockingbird like slash's 1.Not the mockingbord SL cause it costs 2500$.I have the neckthru 1 but it s pretty similar to the SL one.I ve also have read that he is using that kinda pickups and that s why i want to buy em.They are great for sustain tho floyd rose messes with it.Anywayz shall i buy em?

Comment

Originally posted by Stefos_666
              Well to be honest Slash is my fav guitarist and i grew up listening to him.I ve learned his style and i ve finished with all the gnr songs.I have a Bc Rich mockingbird like slash's 1.Not the mockingbord SL cause it costs 2500$.I have the neckthru 1 but it s pretty similar to the SL one.I ve also have read that he is using that kinda pickups and that s why i want to buy em.They are great for sustain tho floyd roses messes with it.Anywayz shall i buy em?
              If it were me, I would install an APH-1n in the neck and an SH-11 in the bridge. The SH-11 is like an Alnico 2 Pro on steroids IMO.
              -Butch

Comment

What do u mean the SH-11 is like an Alnico 2 Pro on steroids IMO?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                  Simon; How would you compare AII Pro's to 59's?
                  Similar, but a little warmer and definitely smoother on the top end. I have played '59s before and liked them, but when I tried them in the '91 Classic they seemed a little too harsh and bright. Probably because I had become accustomed to playing Seths. Sorry to confuse the issue by introducing a third model into the comparison, but I tend to think of the AII Pros as somewhere between a '59 and a Seth.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefos_666
                    What do u mean the SH-11 is like an Alnico 2 Pro on steroids IMO?
                    I think what Butch means is that the SH-11 (Custom Custom model) has a similar tonal profile to the Alnico 2 Pro but more output (and will therefore push your amp harder). This may be what you need for hard rock / metal styles. The Custom Custom / Alnico II Pro combo is quite popular here. I've never tried a CC so can't comment on that.

IMO = in my opinion

Comment

So then i should get em right?I was planning to put both bridge and neck AII pro.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F
                        . . . but I tend to think of the AII Pros as somewhere between a '59 and a Seth.
                        Thanks Simon. I thought thats what I read elsewhere, but I wanted to be sure.

More GAS.

Comment

One word of warming: if you get the Alnico 2 pros and have not had a lot of experience of different pickups, you may be surprised that they are likely to have less power (output) than the pickups you have in your BC Rich right now. You would therefore need to turn up the gain on you amp higher to get the same level of distortion.
                          This isnt necessarily a bad thing, but it is important to know. A lot of people who buy Alncio 2s because they like Slashes sound are surprised at the low level of output that that pickup produces.
                          Ernie Ball Axis Sport (SD EVH 78/ Alnico 2 Pro)
                          Ernie Ball Silhouette Special
                          Gordon Smith Graduate Slimline (Dimarzio Air Zone/ SD 59)
                          Gordon Smith Graduate Slimline (Bare Knuckles Stormy Monday neck and bridge)
                          Fender American Series Telecaster
                          Marshall Jubilee 2554 combo
                          Marshall JMP Master Volume Combo
                          Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20

Comment

Originally posted by zak
                            One word of warming:
                            Great Fruedian slip.

Comment

Erm the pickups my bc rich has are the normal bc rich ones.And i dont think that would be a problem (outpout gain) cause i use an RP80 pedal.But Anywayz i m thinking seriously about that SH-11/APH-1 Combo cause i also like playing pantera...lol
                              Last edited by Stefos_666; 05-17-2005, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X