Custom/Distortion Hybrid review!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom/Distortion Hybrid review!!!!

Alot of you guys know that I bought my PRS to put this pup, that I wound on UGD, in.

Specs
    CS42233
    Distortion Screw coil
    Custom slug coil
    Large ceramic magnet from Seymour Duncan Distortion

D.C. Resistance 16.88K ohms
    Gauss strength of 46

The goal of this pup was to provide the low end grind of a custom, with the harmonics and aggression of the distortion. That goal was accomplished, here is the excerpt from my PRS review.

Further bastardizing this pup is its use of the wood spacers used in the PAFs. I'll start off saying this pup is THICK!!! When you go from any other positions to the bridge pup you hear an immediate increase in output. The pup isn't dark, but it isn't bright either. I am currently running my tone knob anywhere between 5-8. Dirty, or clean...and yes I can use it clean by playing with the volume, but I didn't really make this pup to do it. But for the sake of a complete, and thorough review I'll talk a bit about the cleans. It is cleaner than a distortion, but not as clean as a custom. It sent my BF Vibrochamp into a slight clip with the guitar volume at 10. By manipulating the volume knob you can do wonders, but any pup is like that really.

The low end has a ton of growl, grit, and grind. The crunch is very present on the low E and A strings. I have seen quite a few folks say the custom has more low end grind than the distortion, so I guess I'm hearing this particular quality of the Custom. For lower mids and lows this guitar/pup delivers in spades. They have an almost primal authority. I can elicit harmonics in a stupidly easy kind of way. The upper mids and highs are very clear, almost too clean I'd say. The percussive quality of the distortion in the upper register is somewhat apparent, but the Custom coil tames it down so it is a bit more fluid sounding. When detuning the pup retains its character and articulation. I was doing some crazy Wylde style tuning and the pup handled it fairly well.

Overall I'd describe the pup as aggressive, but not edgy. I don't hear the ceramic magnet making the pup overly bright, or hard. Primarily aggressive.
    Impressions from my friends, and bandmates. Sounds good, sounds thick, sounds clear.

Since that was written I have continued tweaking my EQ achieving some great results. Through the tweaking I have got the highs to sound more akin to what I was looking for, aggresive, but still somewhat smooth.

As an insane experimenter I still want to try it with an A2 and A5 for comparison.

Luke
    “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Re: Custom/Distortion Hybrid review!!!!

Keep up with "Frankenstein" pups and give us your opinions

Comment

Dang, that's pretty cool!
      Gozer the Traveler. Gozer the Destructor. Gozer the Gozarian. Wait for a sign from Gozer the Traveler; he will come in one of the pre-chosen forms.

Comment

Well..... 3 questions
        1 - hows the TIGHTNESS of the bass response?
        2 - its mids are somewhat similar to a CC?
        3 - how do you compare it´s output?
        Hails
        J.P
        Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
        Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
        Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
        Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
        Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
        Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
        Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
        Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

You are officially my hero Luke Duke. You should try a Custom 5/JB hybrid sometime
          Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
          Warmoth Musiclander (Invader/'59 model) see display pic <---
          Jackon Pro Series Dinky w/OFR (EMG 81/60)

Marshall JCM 800 4104 (2xEminence Governor)

Visual Sound Route 808
          Boss SD-1
          Digitech Bad Monkey
          Vox V-847 wah

Comment

I want to have a CC with Tight and Solid Bass, more output.
            That´s it.
            ahahahahah
            Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
            Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
            Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
            Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
            Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
            Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
            Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
            Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

The pup has very thick low mids with slightly tapered upper mids and a push in the highs. Harmonic jump out all over the place, pinch harmonics sound fantastic!

The low end is fairly tight, tighter than what I hear from a CC. It would probably sound even tighter if the spacing was dead on. I actually wanted a TB, but somehow ended up with regular spacing, but what can you do? It's a free pup!

Being the pup is ceramic it has a little bit of pent up aggression.

Yesterday I ran my PRS through a JCM 800, 900, Single Recto, and Marshall Super Bass. The pup had the power to hit the front end pretty hard. The best tone I heard was from the Super Bass, with my SD-1. But I heard it for only a second or two b/c the volume was SOOO loud.

Flipside, I plan on doing magnet switching here in the not-so-distant future, to hear the differences.

Luke
              “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

which is closest to the bridge? Distortion or custom.

Comment

Luke would i like it?
                  1957 RI gibson historic black beauty lester(DD/JAZZ)
                  2003 gibson zakk wylde custom shop lester (stock EMG)
                  1996 gibson lester custom(DD/59 neck)
                  1997 fender lone star (DD TB-6/duckbucker/lil 59)
                  Marshall ZW 2203 100 watt top
                  5150 block letter head
                  4 1960B marshall cabs

Comment

The Distortion Coil is closest to the bridge.

Lester I was wondering when you were going to wander in! It sounded thick but harmonicly rich in the 800, not boxy at all to my ears, of course yours has the 6550's not the EL34's so it's going to sound a bit different. If you were really interested in this pup I recommend you get the large dist. mag, and the regular custom mag. If it sounded boxy through your rig you could tame it down with the smaller mag. This configuration has some bite in the top end, kind of like a distortion, or JB.

Luke

Comment

You would call it "The Duke"

Comment

I was about to say . . . some old faces have returned. Then I realized it's a 16 year old thread.

Comment

It brings back memories......
                          Play more guitar.

Comment

Funny that this thread got necro-bumped! Recently picked up a JB/Custom hybrid bridge pickup from an ESP Exhibition series guitar!

Measures 16.5K in series (trembucker spaced). Looking from the top of the pickup, I first thought it had a ceramic mag, but it's actually a partially roughcast A5 (machined on sides that meet the keeper/poles)

Biggest problem...no "free spots" to try it in any of my current guitars!

Comment

The Distortion/Custom is a really beautiful sounding hybrid. I ran one for a while, coincidentally.
                              The things that you wanted
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                              X