• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jb or custom for metal

Hi I'm a italian guitarist
    This is my band www.in-memory.it
    I play haevy in evergrey sound style.
    And in this page you can listen 2 mp3 clip ( recorder with vamp2)

I must change v7ev8 pick up.
    I have ibanez rg1527.
    What's seymour pick up?
    jbridge jb7 - neck 59 (7)
    bridge custom 7 - neck inavader

Some people say me the jb7 it isn't good for metal

P.S excuse me for my bad english

Re: jb or custom for metal

welcome to the forum tecnorud.

your choice really depend on the the amp you are using. of the lot, i will go custom bridge and jazz neck especially on a 7 string guitar. custom is mighty tight and aggressive for metal. you will need the jazz's clarity in the neck position. i must add, its tone heaven with both the custom and jazz on especially when split.
    the mind is willing, but the flesh is weak...

Comment

Hi.
      I have a 5150 II vers with artigianal Dragoon 2x12 italian "cassa"
      I play much solo in neck position beacuse i'm a fan of garsed,greg howe,symphony x,racer x
      I play more tapping lick and legato and neck position is good for me.
      Thanks

Comment

Welcome to the SD User Group Forum tecnorud.

I have a JB and a 59n in an Ibanez RG 550 and the tone is exceptional for metal or anything else. Lots of metal was recorded in the 1980s using a JB so don't worry too much about what "people" say.

I love the Custom as well, it's a little thicker sounding with more bottom end than a JB. It's another great pickup for Metal and it's quite versatile as well. I've never tried a Custom with an Invader neck model but there is no reason that wouldn't work.
        www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
        www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
        http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

5150 is quite a bass-heavy amp if i am not mistaken. if it is, the jb and distortion will work well. one thing about the custom family of humbuckers, you can change the magnets for a custom, custom custom or custom 5. you may wanna go that way for fine tuning.

if fluidity is your cup of tea. you may wanna try an alnico-2 type pickup like the alnico-2 pro or pearly gates in the neck. i personally like the lowered bass response and clarity the jazz has to offer. pearly gates has pretty good clarity too or so i heard. never really tried it so i can't comment much. but i am sure a2 pickups are more fluid than a5 or ceramic. on the other hand, tapping requires a pickup with high initial attack and ceramic is the best followed by a5.

as you can see, what you are asking for is on the opposite end of things. i suggest going for pickups that will complement your amp and adjust your technique and eq as the situation commands.

on 7 strings, these are the pickup i would personally consider.

bridge: jb, distortion, full shred, custom, custom 5.
          neck: jazz, distortion, full shred, pearly gates.

pickup with ceramic magnet - distortion, custom
          pickup with a5 mag - jb, c5, jazz, full shred
          pickup with a2 - pearly gates

of the lot, jb/jazz is the most versatile (its seymour's favorite combo). have a listen to the sound clips on the duncan site. it will give you a clue how the pickups will sound like.

hope that helps.
          dani
          the mind is willing, but the flesh is weak...

Comment

The best bridge pickup for metal is the Distortion in my opinion. Having said that, I had an RG1527 with a Custom/Jazz set. It handled metal just fine. I solo mostly in the neck position and the Jazz stayed very clear and articulate. The Custom did just fine with low note metal riffing. Doing it all over again, I would have put a Distortion in the bridge, but the Custom should work just fine. I was never a fan of the JB, myself. But as Robert said, the JB was used for plenty of metal in the 80's.
            Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
            X