banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think we need an invention like this..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think we need an invention like this..

I've been thinking for god knows how long now, that it would be great to have a system where instead of having to suffer the hastle of wiring a pickup in, if there was such a way you could just slot the pickup in. It would save so much time, effort etc. and you could swap back and fourth between pups to see how different the sound between pickups actually is.

No doubt somebody has thought of this before me, and there would be many implications to this system, but surely if every firm decided that they would wire their pickups with the same colour codes (DUH! Thats always seemed stupid as hell) then we would be well away.

Im sure this system could work! What are your thoughts views and opinions on this?
    PC: Windows XP/Vista, Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 1TB HDD, M-Audio 1010lt
    DAW: Nuendo
    Noise: 5150
    Guitar: Palm Bay Cyclone

http://www.myspace.com/kevparsons

Re: I think we need an invention like this..

You could get some connectors and solder them to the end of your pickup wire perhaps. It would mean you only have to solder them once.

Comment

This is a subject that has been discussed several times. The conclusion is usually that the connectors would cause too much sound degradation.

Not to mention, if you really think about it, even if you're using the coil-splitting functions of the pickup, there's only 3 points that get soldered.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Maybe you could try something like these spade connectors I found?

If you do give it a go make sure you post what the results are.

Comment

an invention like this?

Comment

Or a pciguard with slots that have connector rails in the them...The rails are point to point wired to the pots, so if someone wanted to change the wiring config, that is still done as usual.... The pups would have to be manufactured with the same rail system, but it could work... I have been thinking about doing this for one of my school projects (I am studying engineering in college).

It would be pretty neat, but I doubt it would be welcomed with open arms and warm hearts...
            ~ Life In Every Breath~

www.gordonsgroovyguitars.com

Comment

WOW, that link above is pretty close to what I had envisioned.... Back to the drawing board for my project! Of course, with that one, you still have to do the intial wiring, but at least you dont have to depend on an entire industry to make the design happen...

I enjoy doing the mods on my guitar anyway! I just thought it would be a pretty neat idea for an engineering project...
              ~ Life In Every Breath~

www.gordonsgroovyguitars.com

Comment

Working...
              X