banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So How DO you put a Tele pickup in a Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So How DO you put a Tele pickup in a Strat?

Do you:

1) Add side "ears" to the pickup?

2) Drill three Tele holes in the Strat pickguard?
    Generic signature line.

Re: So How DO you put a Tele pickup in a Strat?

Number 2 for those I've seen pictured around here and elsewhere. I have to check my Texas Special Strat someday to see whether a Tele lead pickup will fit in that bridge HB rout. I assume that you have to turn the pickup around for best fit, too.

Comment

You may already know this but, a custom pickguard can be ordered. The Tele bridge pickup is longer and wider than the strat pickup, therefore it won't fit in the strat pickguard routing. Plus, if the strat is routed SSS then the base plate on the bottom of the Tele pickup may not fit. You may need to use a Dremel tool to enlarge pickup routing to permit the Tele pickups base plate to fit.
      Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
      -Conrad Hilton

Comment

you will have to open the pickup cavity a little and you will have to either mod or buy a new guard plate but it can be done...Lew has done it, Dr Barlo has one and I have doe it also.
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

you could get a Twangbanger.
          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

the twangbanger is a nice easy solution and sounds great. not exactly like a tele but sure has some broadcaster flavor.
            its one of my favorite single coil bridge pups.

if you want to put a tele pup in, go ahead. its not uncommon and its a great sound

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
              you could get a Twangbanger.
              That would be my first stop, and if that's not enough then try a real Tele pu. Of course, the wider Tele pickup may explain the extra beef some (in addition to the bass plate) -- wider coil picks up longer portion of string, therefore those longer low freq wavelengths.

Warmoth would probably do the trick for a custom guard.
              Generic signature line.

Comment

Working...
              X