banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a heavily gaussed magnet be better for highgain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would a heavily gaussed magnet be better for highgain?

I've seen a lot of topics about 'dun-aged' magnets, which are magnets with a weaker gauss reading, being sweeter sounding.

Would the opposite be true then? Is there a limit as to how strong the magnetic pull can be on the gaussing machine? Of course, you don't want to cause extreme magnetic pull on the guitar strings, but what sonic effect would a fully charged magnet have on the tone of the pickup?......and would it punch the front of an amp a little harder? Better for gain? Just wondering.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Re: Would a heavily gaussed magnet be better for highgain?

That is some technical thinking. I really have no idea but it makes sense what your saying.
    Speak through your fingers

Comment

Not really high-tech at all -- he's talking basic magnet stuff. You don't want a magnet to be too strong or the strings will just stick to the pole pieces. He's wondering how strong a mag can be before it kills sustain, gives you Strat-itis and messes up intonation.
      Generic signature line.

Comment

I guess that the denser magnetic flux around the strings would make the sound much more focused and yes, it could remain tighter under lots of gain.

Comment

Working...
        X