JB in Wolfgang a good choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JB in Wolfgang a good choice?

YES! JB in the bridge position are a big improvement!!

I borrowed a JB from my Kramer Pacer Custom II and put it in my wolfgang.
    I must say it made a big improvement, The stock pup sounded nasal and hard, almost sounded like you are playing through a fixed position wha-wha and I hate that kind of sound.

I'm just used to how the JB sounds and responds to me, my playing and my amp. And thats what I've got in the wolfie now!
    The JB is hotter and drives my Marshall 6100 very well, it's tighter, it's got richer harmonics, it sounds wet and thats what I like so much about the JB.
    Lots of tight lows , absolut perfect highs, just a little to strong mids but I lowerd the mids on my amp and ended up with a great soud, I played "Ain't talkin bout love" and I smiled instantly!. Much better string balance than the stock pup's

Then I switched to solo and here is where the JB stands out from the rest!
    It shines and glows and screams and sings, and again very good balance!

This pup was an old JB with long legs so it was a hard job to make it fit
    I must get me a reversed zebra so it looks perfect as well - thats half the sound, right dudes?

(The wolfgang guitar is mid strong so a JB with a little less mid would be the perfect pup for the wolfgang guitar.)

Comment

Originally posted by d-bone
      YES! JB in the bridge position are a big improvement!!

I borrowed a JB from my Kramer Pacer Custom II and put it in my wolfgang.
      I must say it made a big improvement, The stock pup sounded nasal and hard, almost sounded like you are playing through a fixed position wha-wha and I hate that kind of sound.

I'm just used to how the JB sounds and responds to me, my playing and my amp. And thats what I've got in the wolfie now!
      The JB is hotter and drives my Marshall 6100 very well, it's tighter, it's got richer harmonics, it sounds wet and thats what I like so much about the JB.
      Lots of tight lows , absolut perfect highs, just a little to strong mids but I lowerd the mids on my amp and ended up with a great soud, I played "Ain't talkin bout love" and I smiled instantly!. Much better string balance than the stock pup's

Then I switched to solo and here is where the JB stands out from the rest!
      It shines and glows and screams and sings, and again very good balance!

This pup was an old JB with long legs so it was a hard job to make it fit
      I must get me a reversed zebra so it looks perfect as well - thats half the sound, right dudes?

(The wolfgang guitar is mid strong so a JB with a little less mid would be the perfect pup for the wolfgang guitar.)
      it is said here on this forum that the C5 is a JB with less mids?

Comment

Originally posted by RG 2570
        it is said here on this forum that the C5 is a JB with less mids?

I have no experience with C5 and I have JB's in my main guitars so I don't need to adjust the eq on my amp when I switch guitars in a live situaton so for now I'll take no chances.
        I'm happy with the way JB performs and I've just ordered a new JB SH-4 reversed zebra for permanent assembly.

Comment

I'm very happy with the JB in my wolfgang! I rehearsed with my band today and the the guitarsound was just unbelievable! It's got that duncan quality sound all over it.

If you think that the original wolfgang pup's sounds nasal and hard as I did, get a JB!
          (-Oh by the way, get the standard SH-4, the TB-4 will not fit.)

Now next dilemma.....find a good neck pup -but that's another story :-)
          Last edited by d-bone; 05-06-2004, 02:14 PM.

Comment

I installed a Rio Grande BBQ (after heavy mods) in my Axis and couldn't be happier. It's a fairly dark sounding pup and really balances out the brightness of the guitar.
            :afro:

Comment

Working...
            X