Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Put some sEths into my Heritage 535

Originally posted by Mac-P
    What are some decent caps? I have changed the pots to CTS, but have nevver touched the caps....

I went with .022 Orange Drops, as the consensus here and at the LPF seemed to be that they were a good upgrade from the stock ceramic discs, but I haven't done a lot of research into the various other alternatives. The RS kits seem to include Mallorys or Hovlands. I changed the pots and caps at the same time and haven't actually done any A/B comparisons with other caps - it sounds good and I'm happy with the way the tone rolloff works, so I'm leaving it that way.

Comment

On the issue of capacitors. Kinda just want to avoid the absolute lowest denominator, cheapest to buy caps that most manufactures use.

When I went from the el cheapos to the orange drops, I *think* I could hear a difference. But, I'm not sure that spending 20 bucks on a "vintage" paper and foil cap will really do that much when you consider how miniscule the amount of current that is generated by a guitar pickup.

On amplifiers, with the huge amounts of current, good caps is essential. I think just get some decent quality caps for a guitar and don't go nuts.

Seths and 335's are really a match made in Heaven. (make that Santa Barbara)

If I wasn't so lazy, I'd drop a set into my mccarty rosewood to see how they sound, but the phat cats are not coming out of that guitar anytime soon.

In my Lester, I'm still running the A2P/ CC combo and I don't see those coming out of that guitar at any point.

Looks like if I want Seths tone, it'll be the 535. If I want more seth tone, I'll have to buy a new guitar. (hmm.... buy a guitar.... hmmm. that never occurred to me)

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F
        I went with .022 Orange Drops, as the consensus here and at the LPF seemed to be that they were a good upgrade from the stock ceramic discs
        I am totally with Simon here. I put Seth Lovers and orange drops in my Les Paul, which even looks like Simon's
        I was not crazy about the neck version of the SL but it is certainly a nice pickup with lots of tone for the right players. I like the 59 slightly more.

The Seth Lover bridge is great for classic rock. With the A2 edge, and not quite as bright as a 59, I think it's in just the right spectrum.. lots of personality.

Like Simon, I play Marshall tube amps also.. maybe there is a chemistry thing with all of those components. I have tried lots of pickups and the Seth bridge is #1 for my style.
        Last edited by Stevo; 04-28-2004, 02:42 PM.
        My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
          (hmm.... buy a guitar.... hmmm. that never occurred to me)
          yeah right
          My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

About a year ago I was playing a Heritage 535 in a guitar store that had amazing tone-notes were 3-D, fat and had a real "bloom" to them. One of the best guitars I've ever heard in my life. I went back a few months later and I asked the sales guy what the pickups were, and sure enough, they were seth lovers.

I recently put a set of seth lovers in a Hamer goldtop and they sounded great as well. they are similar to 59s, but warmer and more complex.

Mac-P: what's up? I am beginning to feel that having a matched pair of humbuckers is the way to go. I've had a pair of seths and a pair of 59s in one guitar, and they mix well and sound great, especially for our tastes.
            The 59/59 combo and by far the Seth combo in this Hamer sound better then the 59/JBs in my previous Hamers.
            Gibson ES-335 (stock '57 Classics)*Warmoth Tele (PGn/Brobuckerbridge) *Fender American Strat w/DiMarzio Fast Track Is*Fender Princeton Reverb*Martin D-28*Favorite effects-Maxon AD80*80s Ibanez TS-9*80s Boss OD-1*Fulldrive 2*Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and MicroVibe-Maxon AF-9*Vox Wah

Comment

Well it looks like I'm going to have to go on a hunt for a set of Seths - will it ever end????

Probably not!

Comment

Working...
              X