banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a pickup that will not color my sound...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a pickup that will not color my sound...

Hey guys, I was wondering which pickup wouldn't change the tone of my guitar when amplified. I play a lespaul standard and i like the sound of it unplugged. Which pickup would be good to just amplify the sounds im getting out of my guitar already into an amp? i was thinking about putting an antiquity in the neck and a seth lover in the bridge.. do you think it would color my sound, or should i look into other pickups? thanks

Re: Looking for a pickup that will not color my sound...

I am not sure if it is possible not to color your tone. If that's really what you want, you should use a microphone, not a guitar pickup. I think no pickups can unchange the unplugged sound. The point of pickups is too make a better sound out of a solid/semi-hollow guitars which have significantly less resonance compare to the acoustic guitar. I think you should see the purpose of guitar pickups as picking up the sound, not amplifying the sound.
    "Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

"whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

Comment

my best suggestion would be a bennedetto b6. its about as transparent as anything else ive heard and it will mount just like a std humbucker

Comment

its true, your going to get some coloration......but if you want the least amount, go with low output pickups....if your guitar is bass heavy or bright sounding, you probably want Alnico 2 pickups, like anitquity, seth lover etc.......if its not enough bass, or too warm/mellow sounding....you may want Alnico 5 pickups, such as the 59 or Jazz.....im just giving suggestions that will try to keep all frequencies even, thus leaving the sound of the guitar most intact
        http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
        >cord<
        1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Originally posted by flank
          its true, your going to get some coloration......but if you want the least amount, go with low output pickups....if your guitar is bass heavy or bright sounding, you probably want Alnico 2 pickups, like anitquity, seth lover etc.......if its not enough bass, or too warm/mellow sounding....you may want Alnico 5 pickups, such as the 59 or Jazz.....im just giving suggestions that will try to keep all frequencies even, thus leaving the sound of the guitar most intact
          Good Call!

Jeremy has right idea here, but I've never played a guitar with one so I can't comment on it.

Luke
          “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Seth set, Antiquity set, 59 set. I think a 59B/Jazz N would make you happy, or if you want to go a little hotter, a C-5/59 or C-5/PG
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

59b is very transparent.
              https://www.bandmix.com/stevereed/

Comment

EMG. I don't like 'em 'cause they're too "linear" but if that's what you're looking for...
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                My Music

Comment

Yeah, EMG is what came to my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by thechi
                    Hey guys, I was wondering which pickup wouldn't change the tone of my guitar when amplified. I play a lespaul standard and i like the sound of it unplugged. Which pickup would be good to just amplify the sounds im getting out of my guitar already into an amp?
                    I'm dealing with the same "problem" at the moment, because I compare different bridge humbuckers to a very good P-94 single coil in the neck of a Tokai Love Rock, and to me it seems that it always wins in that respect. The question is if you really want your Les Paul not to have the typical humbucker coloration... I haven't answered this for myself either.
                    ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen
                    BLUEZZ BASTARDZZ on Myspace, Facebook, YouTube, Last.fm and Twitter
                    INDIGO ROCKS on Myspace, Last.fm and at home

Comment

Lace Sensor.
                      Satanists In Love-
                      Dance With The Kings
                      of Dance Kings.

Headlopper-
                      Everyone Must Give Head.

Drunk Boy Records-
                      Fingers on the Pulse of America,
                      and Applying as Much Pressure as We Can.
                      http://www.DrunkBoy.cjb.net

Comment

Originally posted by TheGZeus
                        Lace Sensor.
                        HEATHEN!!!!!!

*points*

BURRRRNNN HIIIIIIM!!!!!!!

lol, j/k dude. Jonny Greenwood in Radiohead uses a Tele with lace sensors, but I'd hardly call his tone transparent - probably cos he sticks it through a Marshall Shredmaster...
                        Colossians 1:15

Originally posted by Gr8Scott
                        I absolutely have no doubt that Aceman has a glitter covered pony head on a stick that he occasionally saddles and rides around his office in full aceman regalia screaming like a cowboy on a meth binge just because the mood strikes him.

Comment

'no coloration' - this is the exact way i describe the Bill Lawrence 500XL pickup's in my ibanez am-50 ... mind you, these are almost 20 yr old pickups, hand-wound by bill in the old pennsylvania barn ... completely transparent with clarity and a real 'kick' between '8' and '10' on the vilume knob ...

i am not familiar with the SD line of pups to know what can get this same result

good luck
                          t4d
                          gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

to me, emg's are the least transparent thing going. the tone comes from the preamp rather than the pup or guitar.

i stand by my suggestion that the b6 is probably the most transparent pup i know of. its designed for crazy expensive archtop guitars where you want to hear the tone of the instrument.

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days
                              'no coloration' - this is the exact way i describe the Bill Lawrence 500XL pickup's in my ibanez am-50 ...
                              ive heard this too. from quite a few people. not only that, but ive heard its a very great sounding, versatile pickup.

Comment

Working...
                              X