X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stevo
    replied
    Re: Seth Lover for Epi Les Paul

Mikmo I don't have those problems ever. Live, I play with a gain boost but I still don't have feedback issues. I don't use a ton of gain on the front end though.

Leave a comment:

• Mikmo66
    replied

Thanks Stevo, Some great sounds on your site. Do you have any feedback/microphonics issues with the Seths?

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied

Mikmo66 I have a bunch of LP Seth Lover tunes and clips at http://www.soundclick.com/pro/?BandID=112334
    If you check out "TL Demo" I did a couple of quick Thin Lizzy riffs.

Leave a comment:

• Mikmo66
    replied

Totally agree about Thunder & Lightning - songs were poor, Scott could'nt play anymore - Sykes kept them going a bit longer I guess. I've seen Limehouse Lizzy and yes, he is remarkably like one mr P. Lynott although I did'nt think they were the best of the tribute bands I had seen . Even Eric Bell has jumped on the bandwagon! His "vagabonds Tour" played here last week. Guess who played support!

Leave a comment:

• Simon_F
    replied

Originally posted by Mikmo66
    I think the Robertson/Gorham combination was the best Lizzy lineup. Robertson's tone on Live & Dangerous is the sound I'm after. Gary Moore's sound on Black Rose is pretty nice too! Sykes was (is) a great player but a bit too HM for Lizzy IMHO! BTW, did you know that Sykes and Gorham are currently touring Europe as "Thin Lizzy" I saw them recently in Limerick, Ireland (where I live) and they sounded great. Sykes handles all the vocals!. Well why not, seeing as everybody else is doing it!

Regards to All,
    Mike.
    Sounds like we have a lot in common Mike! Seths will do Robbo tone, but I reckon any of the other SD PAF-style pickups would do too - '59s, PGs, Antiquities and probably A2Ps. I think Lizzy were in decline by the time Sykes joined - not his fault, from what I've read the drugs were destroying Phil and Scott by then. Thunder & Lightning is for the most part a poor heavy metal album IMO, a far cry from Jailbreak, Johnny The Fox and Live & Dangerous. I've heard the current Thin Lizzy's album Just One Night (?) and I must say Sykes does an excellent job. Have you seen Limehouse Lizzy? Wayne Ellis is uncannily Lynott-like on stage!

Leave a comment:

• Mikmo66
    replied

I think the Robertson/Gorham combination was the best Lizzy lineup. Robertson's tone on Live & Dangerous is the sound I'm after. Gary Moore's sound on Black Rose is pretty nice too! Sykes was (is) a great player but a bit too HM for Lizzy IMHO! BTW, did you know that Sykes and Gorham are currently touring Europe as "Thin Lizzy" I saw them recently in Limerick, Ireland (where I live) and they sounded great. Sykes handles all the vocals!. Well why not, seeing as everybody else is doing it!

Regards to All,
    Mike.

Leave a comment:

• Simon_F
    replied

I need a Les Paul sound for a Thin Lizzy covers band that I play in occasionally.
    The mid 70s Brian Robertson / Scott Gorham lineup of Thin Lizzy is my absolute favourite band of all time. That IS my sound (or at least the one I aspire to...). Seths in a Les Paul will be great for that with the right amp.

In the early days Scott and Robbo were playing LP Deluxes with the mini humbuckers, but they moved on to guitars with full size PAFs and similar. Gary Moore played an old PAF-equipped LP, as did Snowy White. It wasn't until John Sykes joined that the pickups got any hotter - I think Sykes was playing Gibson Dirty Fingers at that time.

But for Jailbreak, Boys Are Back In Town, Rosalie, Dancing In The Moonlight etc. Seths will be just the ticket!

Leave a comment:

• Mikmo66
    replied

Thanks to everybody who replied. My amp setup is mesa triaxis,2:90 pwr amp and marshall 4x12 cab. I mainly play strats (with EMGs or Kinmans -so I hope its ok to show up here!) but I need a Les Paul sound for a Thin Lizzy covers band that I play in occasionally. I thought that the Seth sounded the best of the website clips but the alnico IIs sounded good too - so its between those two.

Leave a comment:

• Lewguitar
    Guest replied

Originally posted by Scott_F
    If you routinely stand in front of a Marshall half stack with all knobs cranked, you might have some feedback issues with the Seths.

Here's the deal with Duncan though............. we have a 21 day No Suck Policy.

If you try the pups and they don't work for you, you have 21 days to contact Tech Support or to take them back to your dealer. It's an exchange policy. They'll allow you to try another style.

You cannot lose with this policy.

Do you like Slash tones? Go with Alnico 2 Pros. Do you like Van Halen Fair Warning tones? Then put a Custom Custom in your bridge. Do you like Duan Allman's Live at Filmore tone? Then put a set of Seths in there and deal with the potential feedback.

If you like Dimebag Darrel's tone, put a Dimebucker in the bridge.

If you love Billy Gibbons tone, put a Pearly Gates in that bad boy.

You really cannot go wrong. I've never heard a Duncan pup that sounded bad. Just different.

Jolly LOVES the Jazz model in his Lesters for heavy metal. Nuff said, I don't know metal, but I trust Jolly.

THere are a ton of clips available on Stevo's website and on mine if you surf around a bit. (look in the pup section) www.toneninja.net

Welcome to the board. Leave quickly or you'll get suckered in here big time!
    Sheesh...that about covers it! Lew

Leave a comment:

• Lu_B
    replied

Hi to everyone on the forum. Im thinking of putting a Seth Lover Humbucker in my Epi Les Paul but I need some advice before I purchase. On the site info it states that the Seth Lover PU is not wax potted. Does this mean that the pickup is prone to become microphonic at high volume/gain settings. Also, Are there different versions of the PU for neck and bridge? Would a Seth Lover in the bridge pos. and Jazz in neck pos. be a good combination? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mike.
    There are different versions for neck & bridge

Leave a comment:

• Simon_F
    replied

The SL/SL combo is a pretty good match too!

Mike - regarding the lack of potting, it depends HOW high your gain & volume are. The Seths are built to the specs of original Gibson PAFs, the pickups that invented classic 60s/70s rock, and the lack of potting is a part of that. I play mine loud through a 50w Marshall, but my gain is what I'd call medium (think Zep, Free, Lizzy, AC/DC.....). I have absolutely no problems with microphony or squealing. These pickups have a lot of character and only feed back when I tell them to.
    Last edited by Simon_F; 04-29-2004, 06:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• strat_master
    replied

Also Scott

If you want that over poppy blink 182 tone get an invader!
    if you want that calssic mdoern paf get the c5!

the possibilities are endlless!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied

The SL/Jazz combo is a very good match. I love the SL bridge in a Les Paul. I crank my plexi pretty loud and I don't have feedback issues. I use a preamp gain pedal sometimes also, but still no feedback problems.

I don't know what kind of amp you are using but the SLs and old Marshalls compliment each other well.

Leave a comment:

• FenderBoy
    replied

Welcome Mikmo66. I liek Scott_f s advice. I dont' have any first hand experience with those pickups but I think that the Seths sound the best out of all the Humbuckers from the samples page.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...ard/hummer.htm --Samples

Leave a comment:

• Scott_F
    replied

If you routinely stand in front of a Marshall half stack with all knobs cranked, you might have some feedback issues with the Seths.

Here's the deal with Duncan though............. we have a 21 day No Suck Policy.

If you try the pups and they don't work for you, you have 21 days to contact Tech Support or to take them back to your dealer. It's an exchange policy. They'll allow you to try another style.

You cannot lose with this policy.

Do you like Slash tones? Go with Alnico 2 Pros. Do you like Van Halen Fair Warning tones? Then put a Custom Custom in your bridge. Do you like Duan Allman's Live at Filmore tone? Then put a set of Seths in there and deal with the potential feedback.

If you like Dimebag Darrel's tone, put a Dimebucker in the bridge.

If you love Billy Gibbons tone, put a Pearly Gates in that bad boy.

You really cannot go wrong. I've never heard a Duncan pup that sounded bad. Just different.

Jolly LOVES the Jazz model in his Lesters for heavy metal. Nuff said, I don't know metal, but I trust Jolly.

THere are a ton of clips available on Stevo's website and on mine if you surf around a bit. (look in the pup section) www.toneninja.net

Welcome to the board. Leave quickly or you'll get suckered in here big time!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X