Effects of "high output"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Effects of "high output"

Isn't the DiMarzio YJM ( HS3 with staggered poles ) a stacked HUMBUCKER ??? Yep. I've used em in a Strat before. I understood that Yngwie uses em in all 3 positions??? Has he changed his pickup choice ??? I always thought it a little odd that he'd use Humbuckers in those Vintage Strats, but then again, he isn't really after Bluesy Tones, say. Like Stevie, Buddy Guy, Eric Johnson, etc......
    Only The Strong Survive

Comment

I've got a humbucker from an old Yamaha SG-85 (circa 1975ish) with a resistance of 29.6 K Ohms. Haven't hooked it up in about ten years but if memory serves me it screams like a banshee.

Here's a pick of a SG-85:
      ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

The last I heard Yngwie uses YJM's in all of his instruments, and yes, those are basically HS-3's with the staggered poles. He may have some of his instruments with the HS-3's and for a time (before the 3's were made) with HS-2's, but those are humbuckers. Apparently he gets a kick out of making people think his equipment is stock (and apparently some people believe it!).
        I know that high output pups diminish your tonal spectrum and dynamics and cause some major compression by hitting the preamp harder, but for me, that's always been a good thing. The way I play, I rely on the bounce of the pick off the strings. For rhythm, my right hand is glued to the bridge but on leads, I lift my hand off the bridge and "spider" pick more. A lot of my technique is based on hammer-ons and legato playing, so the gain is helpful.
        www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar
          Lower output vintage style humbuckers and single coils sound more open in the mids...not so thick and compressed. They generally have brighter, clearer highs and lows too.

Higher output pickups have more bass and mids and less treble. They compress more easily, have less of a breathy quality, and will push the input of an amp harder so you'll get a more distorted tone at lower amp volumes.

I like the low output Seth Lover neck and the higher output Custom Custom bridge for the best of both worlds.

Lew
          The differences you describe Lew are exactly how I describe the difference between my C-5 and Rio BBQ. Actually similar to the difference of a C-5 compared to a JB.

I wish I could find a pickup with the deep and solid lows, pulled back smooth highs like the C-5, but thicker mids like my BBQ or JB. That would be MY perfect humbucker!

Comment

Working...
          X