pickup covers alter tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup covers alter tone?

I bought a Yamaha aes620 which came with a yamaha alnico II in the neck and a USA SD JB in the bridge.. why they didn't go with dual duncans I don't know.. anyways I replaced the crappy yamaha pickup with a covered 59 and it sounded smooth, mellow and perfect for clean tones... I put a seymour duncan pickup cover on the JB for aesthetic reasons and I think it altered the tone.. it now sounds more mellow and it seems to be stifling treble and mid response.. the only other mod I made was switching the master tone to a push/pull coil tap.. did I mess up or do pickup covers really change the tone noticeably?

Re: pickup covers alter tone?

Covers do change the tone a BIT - they take away some of the "attack". With modern pickups and cover materials, though, it shouldn't be a massive difference.
    Colossians 1:15

Originally posted by Gr8Scott
    I absolutely have no doubt that Aceman has a glitter covered pony head on a stick that he occasionally saddles and rides around his office in full aceman regalia screaming like a cowboy on a meth binge just because the mood strikes him.

Comment

Depends on the cover. Metal covers have been said to change the tone. Plastic ones - I highly doubt it. But what CAN happen is, the extra 1/16" (or whatever) of material in the cover makes you adjust the pickup itself that much further from the strings. THAT can affect your tone!

Comment

this website was posted on this site a few days ago, witch has custom mades guitars on it, the pickup covers are made from wood. i think that aswell as the asthetics, the wood would also increase sustain some what aswell as giving it more warmth.
        check it out (some very nice guitars on here
        Thorn's collection of custom premium guitars and accessories
        xxx

Gear:
        Ibanez - RG 370 - 04 model
        Ibanez - GAX 70 - 99 model
        Peavey - Predator (customed - yes it has been duncanised)
        Randall - RG G2 - 75 watt combo :dammit: combo, not loud enough for my liking!...

Comment

This was the original reason way back when that rockers started pulling the covers off their pickups -- gives you just a little bit more bite and articulation.
          Generic signature line.

Comment

Working...
          X