Is it possible....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible....

through the Duncan Custom shop I would imagine...

to get an "aged" ceramic magnet in a Duncan Custom or Duncan Distortion?

Something to "warm them up" a tad?
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Re: Is it possible....

Originally posted by JeffB
    through the Duncan Custom shop I would imagine...

to get an "aged" ceramic magnet in a Duncan Custom or Duncan Distortion?

Something to "warm them up" a tad?

Jeff, ceramic magnets age at a much slower rate that Alnico magnets and Im not 100% sure MJ could do that. That said, what are you looking for sound wise?
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
      Jeff, ceramic magnets age at a much slower rate that Alnico magnets and Im not 100% sure MJ could do that. That said, what are you looking for sound wise?
      Christian...I figgered.. I'd heard that ceramic doesn't "age" well..

Now that I have got it tweaked (and it took awhile to get it right), I *really* like the 498T in my bird...it sounds very much like a "HOT PAF", so to speak..it's got more output, crunch and punch while still having a familiar fat PAF type sound.

What I don't care for about it, is it's a biatch to get pinch harmonics out of, something I use alot of in my playing

Having a hard time finding anything similar to the 498T. I really don't want to go ceramic (due to increased highs/bite) in the thin body.

Some folks have told me to go with the Gibson 57 Classic Plus....
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Christian...I figgered.. I'd heard that ceramic doesn't "age" well..

Now that I have got it tweaked (and it took awhile to get it right), I *really* like the 498T in my bird...it sounds very much like a "HOT PAF", so to speak..it's got more output, crunch and punch while still having a familiar fat PAF type sound.

What I don't care for about it, is it's a biatch to get pinch harmonics out of, something I use alot of in my playing

Having a hard time finding anything similar to the 498T. I really don't want to go ceramic (due to increased highs/bite) in the thin body.

Some folks have told me to go with the Gibson 57 Classic Plus....

The Classic 57 and 57+ are OK pickups but I wouldn't use them as a replacement, but this is all just my opinion. Im not to familar with the 498T...how hot is it really? I'll tell you this...for killer PAF tone with a nice bite and great harmonics the Pearly Gates is damn hard to beat...
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
          The Classic 57 and 57+ are OK pickups but I wouldn't use them as a replacement, but this is all just my opinion. Im not to familar with the 498T...how hot is it really? I'll tell you this...for killer PAF tone with a nice bite and great harmonics the Pearly Gates is damn hard to beat...
          It's pretty hot...same ball-park as a Custom output-wise. I lowered mine a bit more than normal, and then raised the polepieces so that it cleared up the "mud" that 498T owners frequently complain about. Now it's just about perfect barring the lack of pinch harmonics (for this guitar anyway, I wouldn't want it in a Les Paul)

I'm not a fan of the PG. The one thing I *don't* want is *more* bite or sizzle than I already have. I like a PG in the neck, but the bridge always sounds way too harsh to me with some gain.

Comment

It's pretty hot...same ball-park as a Custom output-wise. I lowered mine a bit more than normal, and then raised the polepieces so that it cleared up the "mud" that 498T owners frequently complain about. Now it's just about perfect barring the lack of pinch harmonics (for this guitar anyway, I wouldn't want it in a Les Paul)

I'm not a fan of the PG. The one thing I *don't* want is *more* bite or sizzle than I already have. I like a PG in the neck, but the bridge always sounds way too harsh to me with some gain.

Ok...why not go with a Custom or a CC? Both of those are hotter, have good harmonics as well as a nice thick tone, and even though the Custom has a ceramic magnet it doesn't have the cold quality of a lot of other ceramic pickups.

Comment

I remember seeing grades of alnico at a dealers site ranging from alnico II to alnico VIII, with 8 being the closest in characteristics to ceramic. Maybe getting an alnico 7 bar in your pickup will get you the sound you need.
              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I thought Custom as well Christian...I've had that pup in Explorers (as well as Paulas)...but I'm not sure how she would sound in the Studio Bird as it's a bit more midrangey..kinda halfway between an SG and an Explorer.

Also was thinking custom five as I'd like to stay Alnico.

And I cannot seem to find either a C5 or C with nickel covers. I'd really like to stick with them.

Grrr...I really need to just $hit or get off the pot with this bird as far as swappin pups. The neck pup is easy..any PAF type will do (59, APII, etc)...but the bridge I can't friggin make up my mind about.

time to make some clip requests over yonder

Comment

Working...
                X