Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB Pup in Bridge on a ESP SC-200

Hi Folks

I've purchased a ESP sc-200 recently and exchanged the Duncan Design stand. pups in it for a JB in the bridge. I have had the JB in another guitar sounding pretty cool but bought a custom for that instead which I'm more than happy with. The problem with the JB in the ESP is that it doesn't offer the same distorted sound as with it in another guitar, I have to use a lot of dist to get even near it before. Can I have installed it incorrectly? Is there some kind of trick when it comes to ESP SC-200 guitars? I kinda bought it to experiment towards a deftones sound...and the more expensive models have a JB in them...

Many thanks in advance for your input
    M Petersen

Re: JB Pup in Bridge on a ESP SC-200

There's no trick... is that guitar basswood?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Here are the specs: bolt-on construction; 25.5” scale; basswood body; maple neck; rosewood fingerboard, 24 frets

Does that effect the sound so much? and is there a Pups which is more suitable for these specs?

Thanks
      M

Comment

What kind of pup was the duncan designed? If it was a distortion like model (and I'm not very familiar with duncan designed), it will have had more output than the JB and that's probably why your experiencing the need for more gain on your amp side. The JB isn't pushing the amp as much as your old pup. The JB, despite its DC rating, is a fairly moderate output pup, no where near what a distortion is. That being said I think it has a great tone in any guitar, I'd either use more distortion on your amp like your doing, or push it with a tube screamer or other pedal. And of course you could change to the pick up to a Duncan Distortion as well. That thing is a beast!

Check your connections too, perhaps something happend with the wiring? Also, the JB will not have the same type of distorted sound as your Custom. The Custom line has the more classic PAF distortion sound, while the JB has a unique crunch that is really all its own. Some people I think are a littled turned off or shocked by this the first time they use a JB if they were using traditional pups before.
        Last edited by Jeff5; 08-31-2005, 07:21 AM.

Comment

i dunno.....i find the JB to be pretty similar in output to the DD. a bit less, but similar
          Originally posted by Aceman
          It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Thanks for your replies.....I have experienced the JB in my Ibanez SZ-320, and liked it a lot, but installed it in the ESP SC-200 because (neverminding the Basswood), would be similar to the SC-600....thought I was being clever but considering the difference in wood, it ultimately affects the tone, I presume, but was dissatisfied with the lack of distortion in my guitar tone. But I will try and check the wiring again, but maybe the solution is getting a DD or maybe another like the Breed by DiMarzio. What are your other recommendations and/or experiences?

Thanks
            Miki

Comment

If you like the tone of the JB but want more "umph" or output or distortion, then a DD would be perfect for you. Keep in mind though that the ceramic magnet and the higher output does change the tone, but lots have equated a DD to being a JB's big bad brother.

Comment

Ok I'll definitely look into that one then!

Just something I didn't totally comprehend. Are there certain Pups which are more suitable for basswood guitars and how is it with other wood types?

I believe someone metioned that once!!!

Thanks
                Last edited by mikp; 09-01-2005, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X