Huge dilemma...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge dilemma...

I just talked to my mom about my plans for having a custom guitar made for me. She vigorously denied these plans, even though the guitar would be built using my own money. I now have a dilemma...

I have a Mex Strat with Custom Staggered (which I don't like too much, anyway, I almost never use it), Alnico II Pro (which I love!) and Quarter Pounder in the neck (which I like, but not as much as the mid). However, of my two electric guitars, I enjoy playing this one less. Then there is my SG, which has a Dimebucker and a Distortion. I love the way both pickups sound.

Here's the problem: I don't mind selling two of the pickups from my Strat and buying new ones, such that I could still fit my style of play and get more out of it, nearly as much as I mind selling my Dime and DD. I don't pickup swap, so what's in my guitar, stays in my guitar. It is of no use to me to keep the Dime and DD around if I change those pickups to fit more the style I'm looking to bring to college with me next year.

If I would have gotten my custom guitar, it would have been set up HSH with Alnico II Pro neck, Hot Rails, and Pearly Gates. However, I can no longer have both the PG and the A2P, because I don't have something that I can really drive with if need be.

I'm getting a Hot Rod Deville 212 to take to college, and if I go with my SG, I'm going to put either an Alnico II Pro or Pearly Gates in the neck. What would you put in the bridge to give moderate output for classic rock sound?

If it helps, I'm looking for something of a mix between Slash and Zeppelin, but I need the versatility to be able to pull off heavy stuff on occassion.

Thank you in advance for your help, as you have helped me so many times before and I am confident that you will help me again.

Re: Huge dilemma...

C5! I <3 this pickup (I'm so original )

It really does classic rock really well, but turn up the gain and it still sounds awesome. The cleans are really good as well. Equally good for rhythm or lead, and very versitile.
    Originally posted by The Minstrel
    Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

what if I used a Custom Custom... if you put it into terms of a musician that you'd copy, what is the hardest you could drive that pickup? Also, the tone range of A2P and CC are practically inverse of each other. If I rain both pickups simultaneously, would it just sound flat? I'm also considering a JB. Is either combo inherently better using JB or CC with A2P?

-Jeremy

Comment

also, if you have the dough, and want it, tell your mom to go F$ck herself and do it anyway. When I was younger my mom used to try to pull the same crap and it's because she doesn't realize how important this stuff is to you. She thinks it's a toy you're going to tire of after a while anyway. But then again my mother and I don't get along either.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus
          also, if you have the dough, and want it, tell your mom to go F$ck herself and do it anyway. When I was younger my mom used to try to pull the same crap and it's because she doesn't realize how important this stuff is to you. She thinks it's a toy you're going to tire of after a while anyway. But then again my mother and I don't get along either.
          She doesn't want me to not have the guitar because she thinks it's a toy, it is more that she won't let me go to college with 2K worth of axe. She said I could have it if I don't take it to college. In essence, that means I'm not getting it.

My mom is probably my best friend. She and I are super-close, so I don't think I'm gonna go with that method.

Comment

Originally posted by JSS
            My mom is probably my best friend. She and I are super-close, so I don't think I'm gonna go with that method.
            well in that case, that is the best way to go. Wait til later on and get your dream axe, there's plenty of time.

Comment

Working...
            X