Not to impressed by the JB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not to impressed by the JB

No I has not bought anything I regret, yet...
    I was in a guitar store today to test bridge picups for my Jackson...

I tested:
    -a Gibson LP with 498t(I am talking about the covered gibson PU)
    - a gibson SG with the 500t, the gibson PU without covers.
    - A tom Delonge(?) Strat with only a Seymour Duncan Invader in it.
    - ESP with Seymour Duncan JB in bridge (and 59 in neck).

The 498T is actualy my winner lol. I need further testing offcourse.
    But the PU I had greatest expectations for was the JB... I thought this would be a bassy metal PU, but it sounded more punklike in my opinion. It sounded more like my Mexico fat-strat. Cleans werent to good either, but I have to mention that I played on a ESP

The invader was nice to, but the sound died quite when palm muting.... I have a copy of the invader in my jackson at the moment, so I guess getting an invader would be like keeping my current sound, but with an upgrade. The Invader will have to be ordered, so it may take some time to get it . Those who import it sucks. I have waited since christmas for my multiple rock stand from the same people...

I will try a little more before I buy something though... The amp I used was a ****y top on a crap cabinet. Better amp next time.
    Last edited by Mayhem; 05-10-2004, 08:52 AM.

Re: Not to impressed by the JB

I got a JB and took it back to the store,i was dissapointed that it was not as great as i had heard it was.
    I did not like the peaky upper mid thing at all and the JB seemed to be very un-articulate? the notes sang so much that they smearmed with one another?
    I play real lightning fast lead stuff and the JB did not work out, i am sure it is a great pup but just not for me

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem

The 498T is actualy my winner lol. I need further testing offcourse.
      But the PU I had greatest expectations for was the JB... I thought this would be a bassy metal PU, but it sounded more punklike in my opinion.

What made you think the JB was bassy???

Comment

Originally posted by ranalli
        I dunno bout him but when i tried the JB it was more trebly than bassy?
        i found it to have a lot of cut and not enough arse for thump

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem
          The amp I used was a ****y top on a crap cabinet.
          My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Originally posted by ranalli
            I had heard it was good for metal, and that it had a bassy thick tone...
            The amp was not that crapy, but the one I have at home is better and the distortion was not very good. It was a transistor amp, not tube.

I have heard JB is used in USA fat-strats. That may be the reason for it sounding like my mexico fat-strat...

If I decide for the Gibson 498T in the end, it is the cheapest option. But that doesen't make me favour it. The duncans were actualy the ones that I wanted in the first place, but I will take the one with the best sound.

Comment

i've got the JB in one of my strats and i must say it is one of my favorite pickups although i agree with you on the fact it could use a little bit more bass or low mids.If you didn't like the JB i would reccomend you the emg85....i know most people use it on the neck position but i use it on the bridge position of my 93am.std strat and it's my No1 pickup.Perfect bass, the warmest low mids,and reasonable highs.

Comment

rememebr the guitar the pick ups are in makes a huge difference. The 498T humbucker may sound good in a les paul but what guitar are you putting it in after?
                Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

JB bassy? rofl
                  JB is more an allround pu... but it's like it is made for fast music imo.
                  imo bass have to come from the amp.
                  RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                  TS 7 (modded)
                  Hot Rod 50+ XL
                  Framus Dragon 4x12
                  V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Originally posted by strat_master
                    rememebr the guitar the pick ups are in makes a huge difference. The 498T humbucker may sound good in a les paul but what guitar are you putting it in after?
                    I am very afraid the 498T will not fitt a alder body jackson as god as it does in a lot more expensive Les Paul.
                    Any bassy metal Seymour duncans? I may go for the Invader. It sounded quite good in a "cheap" alder body strat.

My amp can give hell a lot of bass. I will try the JB further with more bass from the amp next time I am at the store.

Is it important to have a trembucker if I have floyd?
                    Last edited by Mayhem; 05-11-2004, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Trembucker fits normally better with most floyds. On my guitar the polepiece are exactly under the strings with the trembucker. they were quite a bit away on the heigh strings with my stock pu.
                      But Normal spaced work too for some guys.

Les Paul sounds much heavier imo. I could imagine the 498T is harsh or something in the Jackson, but just a guess...
                      RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                      TS 7 (modded)
                      Hot Rod 50+ XL
                      Framus Dragon 4x12
                      V-AMP II for practice

Comment

i have been told several times not to put stock pups (like the gibson pups) in another guitar. the les paul u tried out was mahogony body and neck with an ebony fingerboard (i am assuning, cuz like 95% of lps are). im not sure what ur jackson is, but if i remember right jacksons arent built that way. ur gona get a much different sound out of that pup in the jackson then u heard from the lp. i would go with getting some kind of a duncan pup for ur axe, not a stock pup. just my opinion tho...
                        my gear: '80s fender bullet (tele style)
                        fender dg20ce acoustic
                        peavey blazer 15 watt
                        line 6 pod 2.3 and floorboard
                        Atomic Reactor 112
                        Warmoth double fat strat w/ SD Jb bridge and Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell

Comment

The wood is very important, and my guitar is from the "cheap" range. Jackson profesional. Sold for about 750$. But it is good to play, and it would be really good with a sound not as mudy as the duncan designed..

I feel my jackson has quite deep and bassy tone in the wood.

I will have to try the JB and other Duncans on an other amp. I will try to get time for it to morow.
                          The JB is the stock picup in bridge posistion for allmost all jackson USA, and a lot of other passive equiped highrange guitars, so I will have to give it seckond chance. There was actualy something i liked about it, but the distortion from the amp sucked, and may have given a wrong impresion about how the PU handles disorion. I should also tune the guitars before testing. The one with the JB was way out of tune.

The only PU the stores sell is Distortion, Custom, Dimebucker , 59, antiq and JB.

Anyone that have tried gibson PU's in other guitars than gibson?

Comment

well...those are extremely different guitars that you played there...

not suprising that the les paul sounded the best...

did you try them out on the same amp you will be using...?
                            Originally posted by jeremy
                            God hates bad guitar tone
                            GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                            AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                            EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                            Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

No.. did not use the same amp as at home.
                              I have a JMC 800 bass amp from the 80's with a metalzone for distortion. The cabinet is peavy from the 70's, but the speakers is changed offcourse. The last owner was a pricy guy who did not think Marshall cabs was not good enough... The speakers should be good.
                              Strange choice since I play guitar, but pedal distortion is best in my opinion, I have tried Mod4 and all that other ****, and bass amps is used by many good guitarist. Buzzo from Melvins and Fantomas use a jmc800 bass amp, allong with a wide range of other amps on his guitar . Not that I care for what artists use really, but he is a guy who is not sponsored up his but.

I could ask for a boss metalzone and connect it to a cleansounding marshall stack to get a sound equal as possible. The metalzone will give, if not the best sound in the world, a sound I can compare to my current sound at home who is quite good actualy.

Comment

Working...
                              X