ESP's and pots...question for owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESP's and pots...question for owners

hey..I have an esp george lynch signature model..the skulls n' snakes...

I'm going to be getting a JB installed in it in a couple of days..

I'm hearing alotta things about having a 250k volume pot in there because the pups exceptionally bright..

now, I know I saw somewhere where my guitar has a 250k and a 500k pot in there..one for tone and one for volume..just nto sure which..anyone know if I'm ok or if I should have the tech replace something??
    Splawn QR
    Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
    Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s
    George Lynch Skulls n' Snakes Sig ESP w/JB trembucker

My Cover Band
    My Gear Pix
    My SPLAWN Clips
    My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

My guess is that esp uses 500k pots for volume and 250k pots for tone... Try the JB this way first... If the pick-up's too dark for you then I'd change the tone pot to 500... I think you should be fine with the JB and these pots in that particular guitar...

Comment

Depends on what version of the S+S you have, my friend. I own 2 Lynch guitars, myself.

Can you give me more spec's?

Is it the alder body?
      Is the bridge blocked?
      Does it have the skull inlays?
      Does it have the square, round, or trapezoid electronics cover?
      Does it use a pull pot for the pickup switching?
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Surgeon--

That's what I think it is as well...but I'm not 100% sure...

Twilight--

it is the alder body...it's got a floyd rose original locking tremelo (not blocked by me..I use it), it's got the skull and cross sword inlays and is has the pull put for pickup switching...it's got a round cover for where the jack is and I think it's square over the springs for the tremelo..
        Splawn QR
        Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
        Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s

My Cover Band
        My Gear Pix
        My SPLAWN Clips
        My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

Originally posted by shreder75
          Surgeon--

That's what I think it is as well...but I'm not 100% sure...

Twilight--

it is the alder body...it's got a floyd rose original locking tremelo (not blocked by me..I use it), it's got the skull and cross sword inlays and is has the pull put for pickup switching...it's got a round cover for where the jack is and I think it's square over the springs for the tremelo..
          K, got is shreder ...

Yep, it's a 500k push/pull pot. Should sound superb with a JB. Really, very warm with a nice midrange PUNCH, very similar to my Rock Legend, probably.

Comment

so I should be ok with it? won't sound too bright?

I didn't think the demon was overly bright..and that and the JB are pretty similar I think...I liked the sound of the demon, just not the attack cause of the lack of high output..wasn't tight enough..so I'm thinkin' I should be ok with the JB...

I just wanted to check before I leave it to the technician so I could maybe address the problem all in one shot rather than bring it in again...

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
            K, got is shreder ...

Yep, it's a 500k push/pull pot. Should sound superb with a JB. Really, very warm with a nice midrange PUNCH, very similar to my Rock Legend, probably.
            Splawn QR
            Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
            Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s

My Cover Band
            My Gear Pix
            My SPLAWN Clips
            My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

Nope, I don't think it'll sound overly bright at all. My Rock Legend uses 500k pots and is alder w/JB, maple neck and rosewood fingerboard, just like the S+S ...

Comment

Excellent! I'm thinking I'll be alright....guess we'll find out in a couple weeks =D thanks for the info!
                Splawn QR
                Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
                Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s

My Cover Band
                My Gear Pix
                My SPLAWN Clips
                My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

Excellent! I'm thinking I'll be alright....guess we'll find out in a couple weeks =D thanks for the info!
                  No problem, man ... any time.

Comment

you wouldn't happen to have any clips of all that nasty equipment you own, do ya? You've got some pretty impressive stuff!
                    Splawn QR
                    Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
                    Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s

My Cover Band
                    My Gear Pix
                    My SPLAWN Clips
                    My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

you wouldn't happen to have any clips of all that nasty equipment you own, do ya? You've got some pretty impressive stuff!
                      LOL! Why, thank you!

Yes, there are 2 songs on my web site, www.twilight-odyssey.com. Feel free to check 'em out and let me know what you think. We're recording our debut album now for Adrenaline/Steelheart in Italy, and I will be mixing it in April.

Comment

Oops, forgot to mention:

All of the rhythm guitars for the album are either the Rock Legend or my Strat. I use the Knucklehead and JCM800 for rhythm tracks. For harmonies I use my Engl/Marshall rack, and all of the solos are the JEM or my M1 through my VG-88 ... I would use my amp for the solos, but I love recording the solos at home, whilst drinking cawfee in my pajamas! (Lazy bastage that I am!)

Comment

sounds good overall, buddy!

I definetly like the endless days tune...a fan of maiden are ya by any chance? =D I love maiden by the way..

anywho, the rythm tracks sound really good with that JB in there..nice and tight!

I liked parts of the first song as well..especially after the lead when it picks up with the tapping harmonies..that's where it really picks up...
                          Splawn QR
                          Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
                          Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s

My Cover Band
                          My Gear Pix
                          My SPLAWN Clips
                          My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

Thanx for your kind words, shreder!!

Actually, the section you're refering to, if I'm guessing the correct part, is a 2 string arpeggio lick, which is harmonized.

And, yes, Maiden is encoded into my genetic structure at this point!

Comment

ok..gotcha..sounded like you might've been using the neck pickup for that? maybe that's what threw me off...

heh..maiden rules! of course the new stuff sux, in my opinion..I wanted to toss teh new album out the window after I heard it!

but I saw them last year at MSG..they played NOTHING BUT OLD STUFF!!!!!!! one of the best concerts I've seen =D

and you're quite welcome for the kind words...the singer sounds like michael sweet!
                              Splawn QR
                              Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
                              Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s

My Cover Band
                              My Gear Pix
                              My SPLAWN Clips
                              My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

Working...
                              X