JB Reg. vs. JB Trembucker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Except you're discounting the that company hasn't adjusted the layering and tension and other factors to make the pickups be comparable as the same model.
    But at that point, they're changing even more things.

I have no doubt that Duncan have done their homework and they wouldn't be putting the trembuckers out unless they're convinced they represent the sound of their humbuckers well.

And like I said in my post, maybe it's splitting hairs as far as we perceive it, but I think I agree with Clint's assesment that there is just no physical way for them to actually be electrically identical.

And like I said before, we're in a forum where we discuss the subtle differences between a magnet, and the same magnet but with bumps on it. How can other changes, subtle as they may be, not make a difference much like that does?
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 09-06-2023, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Of course. But electrically identical isn't the same as sonically identical. The latter is really the goal.

Because newer Gibsons have wider string spacing, I've put humbucker and trembucker versions of the same pickups, like Custom 5 HB and TB, and Custom Custom HB and TB, in my Les Paul, and I've also done it with my Jackson, Custom 5 HB and TB, and I didn't notice a significant difference in the sound/EQ/tone, certainly not enough I thought it was a different pickup. String balance was different, however. That was more the issue for me.

Sure there could be a sonic difference someone could notice that I didn't pick up on. I kind of think cover vs no cover might be more of a difference than TB vs HB. But there could be a difference with every change, sure.

Would be nice if some SD employees were on here to chime in on that - how do they keep TB and HB similar or 'identical' in sound?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        Of course. But electrically identical isn't the same as sonically identical. The latter is really the goal.

Because newer Gibsons have wider string spacing, I've put humbucker and trembucker versions of the same pickups, like Custom 5 HB and TB, and Custom Custom HB and TB, in my Les Paul, and I've also done it with my Jackson, Custom 5 HB and TB, and I didn't notice a significant difference in the sound/EQ/tone, certainly not enough I thought it was a different pickup. String balance was different, however. That was more the issue for me.

Sure there could be a sonic difference someone could notice that I didn't pick up on. I kind of think cover vs no cover might be more of a difference than TB vs HB. But there could be a difference with every change, sure.

Would be nice if some SD employees were on here to chime in on that - how do they keep TB and HB similar or 'identical' in sound?
        If it's not electrically indentical, there is no way it's sonically identical.

I thought the Fishman moto was kinda ridiculous at the beginning. But TBH, I've had a couple of Duncans that were kinda off-spec (while sill within tolerance, I guess) that sounded off. I mean, even they acknowledge Dave Mustaine's JB was off, so they made a replica.

I'm not saying you're wrong, though. I might not perceive a difference either if I had both side by side. I like to think I'm critical when it comes to tone, but I haven't got special ears or anything either. But physically speaking, the difference is there. That's what I'm arguing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
          If it's not electrically indentical, there is no way it's sonically identical.
          That part isn't entirely true. A long time ago a Duncan employee explained on here that if they pack the wire toward the top of the bobbin it will produce more treble, so they can change the sound despite the electrical properties of the pickup.

Comment

Working...
          X