EMG X-Series and RetroActives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG X-Series and RetroActives

Now that the EMG X-Series Preamp and Retroactive pickups have been out for a while, how are they? I have experience with the old school EMGs like 81, 85, 89, 60, SA and S but they’ve been off my radar for a while. I’m curious about others’ experiences.

It seems like the X-Series is intended to sound like the standard line but with more dynamic range?

The RetroActives are a newer idea, any comparisons to Fishman Fluence or the Blackout Preamp?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

I run a few active guitars, and only one is the X preamp. I swapped the standard EMG pickups to the X series in one of my E-II seven string guitars. I personally feel that the added headroom really helped keep a better signal for the 7th string. My other E-II seven string has the 57/66 set which has a different preamp to the standard EMG (don't know how it compares to the X series), which had a very similar feel to the X set.

I am a huge EMG fan, though I have a couple guitars with Blackouts (SSS & HSS setups), and one with the a set of Fishman Moderns. I really like the Blackout singles due to their ability to match the output of an active humbucker. That was always my biggest gripe with a HSS setup; having to compromise on either the humbucker or single coils. That is not the case with the Blackout setup. Now, I am not convinced of the greatness of the Fishman pickup (granted I am not a touring professional). They sound good, but not better to my ears when comparing EMGs. I have played a few different sets of the Fishmans, and I always feel like I am left wanting. I can say that they do track faster, and the sustain is crazy good, all the while being dead quiet. For me, the multiple voice feature is more novelty than function. I say that because though I have choices, I don't feel like the different voices really give me anything better than what I can achieve with an EMG that has its one sound (and to me that one sound is much better sounding). I definitely know I am in the minority on the Fishman pickups, but they are really just underwhelming to me.

I unfortunately can't speak on the RetroActive pickups, but would like to try them at some point.

Cole
    Budda Superdrive II 30, 45, V40, Baby Budda| H&K Duotone | Laney GH100L | Peters Halo/Hydra | Rivera M100 | |Rocktron Vendetta 100 | VHT Pittbull 100/CL]

Comment

Working...
    X