Wiring Kit Advice—HSS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Kit Advice—HSS

I just purchase the Classic Stack Plus for the neck and middle position and the JB. Jr. for the bridge. I'm not a fan of the single coil sound in the bridge, but am I right that the JB Jr can do split coil (website notes: "The 4-conductor lead wire gives you access to parallel and split wiring options for added versatility.")? I've looked at a couple wiring kits and am trying to figure out the best to get for this, whether this ToneShaper wiring kit that does split coil or if the JB Jr doesn't split, then one like the this Stewmac kit. Any advice you have would be great. Thanks!

Originally posted by Wimer View Post
    I just purchase the Classic Stack Plus for the neck and middle position and the JB. Jr. for the bridge. I'm not a fan of the single coil sound in the bridge, but am I right that the JB Jr can do split coil (website notes: "The 4-conductor lead wire gives you access to parallel and split wiring options for added versatility.")? I've looked at a couple wiring kits and am trying to figure out the best to get for this, whether this ToneShaper wiring kit that does split coil or if the JB Jr doesn't split, then one like the this Stewmac kit. Any advice you have would be great. Thanks!
    The JB Jr will split. You don't need to buy that kit and rewire the whole thing. You can keep your pots and jack and just get a superswitch.

https://www.dimarzio.com/hardware/sw...trat-multipole

Or, you can buy a single push/pull pot for $10 if you just want to split the bridge.

Comment

Sorry, I should have clarified: I'm building a Strat from the ground up, so don't have anything just yet.

Comment

A side note..the JB Jr sounds much better in parallel than split. In fact, when used in parallel with a full Classic Stack, you still get hum cancelling but a much better in-between sound (to me).
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The ToneShaper kit gives you MANY more wiring options than the StewMac kit and it's even less expensive.

Mincer is correct...the JB Jr can be split, but it sounds much better in parallel. To me, it doesn't sound good at all in the normal series mode (but then, I don't like the full-sized JB either).
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Interesting. Thanks guys! I'm not entirely sure I want a single coil in the bridge, which is why I went with a humbucker. But at the same time, not sure I want to go back and forth, either. Glad to know it sound better in parallel. I appreciate it!

Comment

Let us know how this project turns out!
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The one thing I would do definitely do is wire the JB Jr to a tone pot, as most strats bridge pups are not traditionally wired to one.

Comment

Don't know what your are playing, but I do blues/classic rock/'80s rock with the STK-S7 in the bridge of my LTD Strat (I have STK-S4 in the neck). I have tone pots for neck and for bridge. So regular Strat wiring (except I have a 3-way blade switch), no splitting and no hum.

Comment

Working...
                  X