Help - 5 way superswitch w/ blend pot on some but not all positions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - 5 way superswitch w/ blend pot on some but not all positions

Looking for some wiring help after my first attempt failed to do what I had wanted.

1) Using dual Fishman Fluence humbuckers with an Oak Gribsby Superswitch (4P5T),
    2) wanting to have a blend/balance/pan pot (typical center detent, stacked rows of 3 terminals),
    3) only have the blend affect positions 2, 3, 4 (both pickups combined),
    4) the blender functioning similar to a bass guitar with no pickup selector switch,
    5) all while leaving positions #1 (bridge only) and #5 (neck only) unaffected (e.g. always just 100% the selected pickup irrespective of what the blender pot is on).

Is what I want to do technically possible? Anyone have any wiring diagrams or other resources that might be able to help? I have not found anything close enough to what I am looking for so far, just standard strat 5 ways with a blend for the neck/bridge pickup, tele blender, or blenders in place of a pickup selector switch (e.g. bass guitars).

My first shot in the dark attempt involved using just one circuit/pole/bank on the superswitch. I ran the hot input from the bridge pickup to the Position #1 terminal on circuit #1, and then I ran a jumper cable right off of this same terminal to the first input on the blender pot. The neck pickup's hot input went to Position #5 on circuit #1, then a jumper to the second input on the blender pot. Then I ran the blender pot’s blended output back to Positions #2, 3, 4 on circuit #1 of the superswitch. Here is a crude schematic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blender wiring.png
Views:	219
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	6011920

At least positions #2, 3, 4 did exactly what I was looking for. However, positions #1 and #5 are super jacked up. The blender pot not only impacts these positions too, it is also completely unintuitive. It is tough to describe in words so the table below of each pickups approx balance is what I am getting.

Name:	Blender results.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	6011921

Any thoughts on how to make this work? I don’t need diagrams and can run with basic instructions fairly easily.

Had a new thought after sleeping on this. Think I got it figured out, hopefully.

This new plan involves 1) reversing the direction of flow for how I was originally using the superswitch, and 2) using up three of the circuits rather than try to get it all done in one.

The downside for me is I will have now used up all four circuits on the superswitch. I was trying to keep two of them open for inner/outer coil switching on each of the Fishman Fluence pickups. Unless I can somehow figure out a way to get the blender to work properly on just one circuit like I had originally hoped (I guess unlikely), I will have to hope I can get a stacked EYB Megaswitch 3.0 Type M with 8 circuits here in the US in the midst of this terrible COVIOD mess, be able to make it fit, and not dislodge a bunch of delicate solder pads while attempting to install.

Soooo still hoping someone might chime in with a hidden solution on how to make this all work using just one circuit on a superswitch. Again, I want a dual ganged blend/balance/pan pot with center detent to only impact positions 2, 3, 4 where I will be running both pickups combined while not affecting position 1 (bridge only) position 5 (neck only).

Name:	Blender wiring v2.png
Views:	121
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	6012079

Comment

Back to the drawing board. Second attempt still does not work as intended alough it is at least better than the first one.

The blender pot is acting like a second volume control in positions #1 & #5 when turned away from the selected pickup, which is a non starter.

So back to the original question of whether it will be possible to get the blender pot to not affect positions 1 & 2 whatsoever and any advice on how to make that happen?

Comment

Working...
      X