Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
    A4 sux. A8 sux. Ceramic sux.
    A4 is very finicky but in the right wind, it is amazing. I love it in a JB, for example, to give the mids a slight bump and soften the highs, compared to A5. In a '59B in the neck, it gives a wailing, howling tone. But I'd rather have A4 over A8 any day. Ceramic has the same problem as A8: it's just too much of everything.

My favorite right now, is a Pegasus/Custom Alnico 2 in the bridge. I'm thinking of a Pegasus/Perpetual Burn A2 to be honest, as well as a Pegasus/59 for the neck position. Pegasus/JB is also an amazing choice. Not nearly as hot as a JB/Custom but it does retain the liquid feel of a JB, it's tight but not sterile.

I'm surprised to learn that I'm not the only one having this feeling. Cool.

Comment

Welcome to the club, I've never been a fan

Comment

My main guitars these days are my PRS USA Custom 22's and PRS SE Singlecuts.

I have a set of Seth Lovers with RCA4 in one of the Singlecuts.

I still have my old ES-335 and it has Alnico 4 Tom Holmes. So those two are my A4 guitars.

I like the sound of my ES 335. Not so crazy about A4 in the Seth Lovers. Kind of lacking in "push".

I have Antiquitys in a different Singlecut and I had RCA4 in it for a few months.

I liked A4 better in the Antiquitys but they're wound stronger than the Seth Lovers. I put the original RCA2 magnets back in the Antiquitys and prefer that sound.

To me, a full set of A4 sounds a little flat and a little bland in my solid body guitars but sounds better in the Tom Holmes humbuckers in my semi-hollowbody ES-335.

RCA2 in the neck Antiquity and RCA4 in the bridge Antiquity of my Custom 22 is very nice.

I suppose it does depend on the pickup and the guitar.

But so far, A4 does seem finicky to me and overall RCA2 gives a more interesting and inspiring sound.

I like RCA5 but it's bright. It's easier for me to get a pleasing sound onstage with RCA2.

I play mostly blues.
        Last edited by Lewguitar; 08-27-2020, 06:05 AM.
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

If someone is done with A8, are they also done with Ceramic?

I personally LIKE ceramic. It comes with a thickness.. something .... that isn't in Alnico pickups. You don't get the "air" on top, but you get something that is thick right where you need it to be for lead guitar.

I view something like A8 as a representation of a man's desire to be "better" and not leave any stone unturned. It is human nature, but sometimes tried and true is the best. If A8 was such a stellar magnet choice, they would be in wide circulation from many years ago. Now its offered as an "ego" choice, to help sell pickups.
          Last edited by Top-L; 08-27-2020, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            I think we go through phases, and some last a long time. The first 25 years of playing, I used a Strat, and now I don't remember the last time I've played one.
            My first 25 years of playing I wouldn't touch a Strat and now it is one of my main guitars.

Comment

I was done with ceramic humbuckers a decade ago!

I still have a Fralin Steel Pole 43 with a ceramic magnet as the bridge pickup in one of my Strats.

Sounds a little like a P90. A little.

I don't love it but don't want to go through the Hell of replacing it either.

Comment

I tend to think more in terms of the package, than the magnet. I like both the Distortion, (big ceramic), and Invader, (triple big ceramic). I find neither to be harsh or overbearing.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                  I tend to think more in terms of the package, than the magnet.
                  Bill Lawrence tried to convince me of that in a phone conversation once, saying that a ceramic magnet did not impart a particular tone to a pickup and used in a properly designed pickup, that pickup could sound as warm and organic as one with an alnico magnet.

I have yet to hear it if that's true.

They all sound like a science project to me rather than something I'm comfortable with using to make music.

I don't love the JB JR., the Duncan Custom, the Fralin SP43...on and on. I don't hate 'em but I don't love 'em either.

The sound of all of them feels like something is missing and what seems to be missing is an alnico magnet.

Comment

I understand. But an Invader, (triple ceramics), in parallel, is sweet and smooth. Then again, I tend to play at lower volumes, in a home studio situation. That could have a lot to do with how I hear it.

Comment

i also agree with Mincer. taste changes.
                      once upon a time i like smooth, fat, round and warm. some sounds i loved back than i hate now.
                      for some aggressive stuff, Alnico 2 to 6 might not be enough.
                      but if you like "natural" then ALnico might be your best bet.
                      As we grow older, or should i say boring, we definately lose some edge and aggresiveness, as does our sound?
                      Last edited by ToneFiddler; 08-27-2020, 02:29 PM.

Comment

I tend to think more in terms of the package, than the magnet. I like both the Distortion, (big ceramic), and Invader, (triple big ceramic). I find neither to be harsh or overbearing.
                        I wouldn't describe ceramic as harsh or overbearing either. IMHO, I'd describe them as sterile or soulless.

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post

I wouldn't describe ceramic as harsh or overbearing either. IMHO, I'd describe them as sterile or soulless.
                          That's cool, and everyone's setup is different. But I wouldn't describe the Distortion or Invader in either of those terms. I wonder if the fact that they're over-sized ceramics makes the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
                            As we grow older, or should i say boring, we definitely lose some edge and aggressiveness, as does our sound?
                            Something I've learned in 55 years of playing is that the audience appreciates a guitarist not making their ears bleed.

I've also learned that I play better when I'm comfortable with my sound and not making my own ears bleed.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

Something I've learned in 55 years of playing is that the audience appreciates a guitarist not making their ears bleed.

I've also learned that I play better when I'm comfortable with my sound and not making my own ears bleed.
                              That's not necessarily so for a metal audience, especially a thrash metal audience.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

That's cool, and everyone's setup is different. But I wouldn't describe the Distortion or Invader in either of those terms. I wonder if the fact that they're over-sized ceramics makes the difference?
                                I meant compared with alnicos. Ceramics are fine for metal/heavy distortion but I don't play much of that.
                                Last edited by esandes; 08-27-2020, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X