banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual humbucker Mustang. There is no diagram available from SD. Check my work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual humbucker Mustang. There is no diagram available from SD. Check my work?

So this guitar has TWO 3-position mustang slide switches, TWO humbuckers, ONE volume, and ONE tone. No pickup selector switch. I want each 3-position slide switch to control their own pickup in an OFF-SPLIT-HUMBUCKER configuration.

I'm installing a Pearly Gates Plus bridge pickup and a '59 neck pickup.

Here is the diagram that I made. Multiple people online have helped with it, but I'm not sure it is completely correct yet... I've never wired a guitar before and am trying to learn how everything works, but I'm pretty lost. Thank you!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	SQUIER MUSTANG Pickup Diagram Noise Cancelling FINISHED 1.png Views:	0 Size:	217.4 KB ID:	6014285
    Last edited by RavageTheEarth; 09-03-2020, 04:58 PM.

You know, a better way to wire it would be to have one toggle do neck, mid, bridge,. And the other toggle do inner split, series, outer split.

I predict you will get tired fast of having to flip two switches every time you want to go from neck to bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
      You know, a better way to wire it would be to have one toggle do neck, mid, bridge,. And the other toggle do inner split, series, outer split.

I predict you will get tired fast of having to flip two switches every time you want to go from neck to bridge.
      That's a good point. That is what I originally wanted to do, but someone talked me out of it. I'm starting to being to understand how all this works, but I really can't wrap my head around how to do that at all!!

Comment

Originally posted by RavageTheEarth View Post

That's a good point. That is what I originally wanted to do, but someone talked me out of it. I'm starting to being to understand how all this works, but I really can't wrap my head around how to do that at all!!
        You would have to ask some of the forum members for help.

I know there are diagrams that show how to do it with a 3-way switch and push/pull volume that could be adapted. I'm not familiar with the mustang switches.

Comment

You would have to ask some of the forum members for help.

I know there are diagrams that show how to do it with a 3-way switch and push/pull volume that could be adapted. I'm not familiar with the mustang switches.
          Yeah, I've posted to many forums and have barely got any responses. I'm a complete newbie with electronics and struggling to understand how to do this.

The mustang switch has 8 pins. 4 on each side. In each position the switch activates a square of 4 pins. So up position would be 1-4, middle 3-5, down 5-8.

Comment

If you bought SD pickups, email tech support.

Comment

If you bought SD pickups, email tech support.
              I did email them! Hopefully they'll get back to me!

Edit: They got back to me. They don't know. Told me to ask Fender. What have I gotten myself into? Definitely going to post the diagram everywhere once I get it figured out. Don't want anyone to have to go through all this trouble in the future!!
              Last edited by RavageTheEarth; 09-04-2020, 11:56 AM.

Comment

This should be the correct wiring for anyone looking in the future.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uzlhVpr.png
Views:	149
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	6014779
                Last edited by RavageTheEarth; 09-05-2020, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Why not just go with the traditional wiring with split?
                  This shows the use of a 3-way toggle switch, but if you're sold on the slide switches, you can accomplish the same thing.

One slide switch could be used to select pups: neck/both/bridge. The other could be used to split both of the pups. That way you're not having to work both switches to select your pup.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                  X