No announcement yet.

Jazz bridge in the neck . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks again guys for all the good info. I've got some experimenting to do. But I am going to start with the Jazz neck, since it's for a specific project that I want to try.

Comment

the 59 and jazz use different #42 wire so thats part of it and the wind is different too so thats probably the other part. ive compared jazz and 59 magnets and i didnt notice a significant difference

Comment

As a few others have said, most vintage output bridge pickups sound really good in the neck position, especially when paired with a spicy bridge pickup. I'm gonna take it one step further and say that the Jazz Bridge is actually more at home in the neck position than a lot of other humbuckers, '59 is a bit too boomy, APH lacks high end, haven't tried the PG but I imagine that would be pushing the output dangerously high. But the Jazz bridge, oh man does that pickup just SING in the neck position. It's a wonderful choice.
        Originally posted by jcthejester13
        Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
          '59 Bridge has more low end, less treble, and more output than the Jazz Bridge.

This is despite the fact that the Jazz Bridge is spec'd with the same magnet and more wire (both of which are presumably 42 gauge).

That means the difference must be in how the coils are wound, or in how the magnets are charged.

They have never advertised that the magnets on either of these are softened in strength.

I believe '59s are wound on the old Gibson machine, with whatever winding pattern it uses.

The Jazzes must be wound with a different winding pattern, resulting in different coil dimensions, I'd think. Maybe they are a bit more neatly wound, which would theoretically result in smaller coils even with a bit more wire length.

The pickups are in the same basic family (A5, 42 AWG, PAF-based pickups), but the '59 gives a "meatier" tone.
          If I remember right, both the 59 and Jazz use 42 ga. copper wire but the coating is different.

Plain Enamel for the 59 and Poly (SPN: Single Poly Nylon) for the Jazz and A2 Pro.

The thickness of the coating would probably have some bearing on the tone of the pickup.

I can see how it might be argued that if the coating is thicker, each layer of winding would have a tiny, tiny bit more distance between each layer of the copper inside the coating, because of the thickness of the coating.

Not being a scientist I can't explain it any further than that.
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

But it is interesting how the tiniest minutia of pup design can change it's whole character. It's what makes this hobby fun.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              the 59 and jazz use different #42 wire so thats part of it and the wind is different too so thats probably the other part. ive compared jazz and 59 magnets and i didnt notice a significant difference
              Yes. The insulation thickness affects the coil dimensions. Two coils wound with the same wire but different insulation thicknesses will "build" differently. At the same number of turns and identical winding pattern, the wire with the thicker insulation will give you wider coils.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                But it is interesting how the tiniest minutia of pup design can change it's whole character. It's what makes this hobby fun.
                Don't ya just love physics?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X