Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a HH w/super switch wiring!

Hi to all wiring lovers!

I was wondering if someone can help me. I have a personal wiring project with which to squeeze as many tones as possible, I have been looking at the existing information and the threads of the subject.
    I have found this switching system, but I was wondering if it can be…:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	6015515
    In Parallel Mode:
    In position 2, turn the bridge humbucker on and off.
    In position 4, turn the neck humbucker on and off.
    I wish I could add that combination to have a Humbucker + Coil split, but also have the ability to keep a Coil split alone.
    I have:
    2 Humbucker (Bareknuckle) + Fender Super switch 5 way + 2 push pull (tone and volume) and 1 mini dpdt switch (on / off / on).
    I have no problem if I make those two push / pull work as a 4pdt (since I can't get one at the moment).
    Is it possible to do something with it?

If someone could help me I would be very grateful. Sorry for my writing, English is not my first language.
    Last edited by Silence64; 09-08-2020, 08:20 PM.

Interesting wiring! I will say the top part of the diagram is essentially the switching I use, but you have to flip a magnet in one of the pickups for everything to remain hum-cancelling. Hopefully someone can come in here and sort out if the other part of your idea is possible.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

What is the blue outline around the neck pup in position 2, and around the bridge pup in position 4?
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Oh, is that to represent the pup which you can turn on and off? If so, that would mean that you should number the switch positions in reverse of that order. Position 1 is bridge pup and position 5 is neck pup.

If I understand you correctly, you want both pups to be permanently in parallel rather than series? You don't want to be able to switch back and forth between series and parallel, correct?

After looking at this for quite awhile, I don't think you can do what you want (with pups in parallel). You'd need a "super super switch" with 6 poles and 30 throws (the super switch is like 4 separate 1P5T switches, you need a switch with 6 separate 1P5T switches). It can be done in series because there is only one wire connection (R+B) that has to be manipulated in addition to regular switching. In parallel you have at least 2 connections (R+B, W+G) that need to be switched around.

There are several brilliant wiring gurus on this forum, maybe someone smarter than I will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong and be able to give you an answer.

In any case, welcome to the forum. You'll get all your answers here.

Comment

Hi Mincer, thanks for your answer.
          When you mean flip the magnet, should I have something like this for hum-cancelling?

Neck:
          North Pickup
          South Pickup
          Bridge:
          South Pickup
          North Pickup

Comment

Right...that way, when you have either the inside coils or outside coils, you will get hum-cancelling. I don't know if there is another way to accomplish that without flipping one of the magnets.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hi GuitarDoc and thanks for answer.
              I can't add the tag GuitarDoc I don't know why, I hope I can see this I get error 403.

​​​​The blue outline is to represent which pickup I wanted to turn off and on, you are correct. In the case of positions, it would look like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	0_IMG-20200909-WA0000.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	6015666
              I want to be able to back and forth between the pickups between Parallel and series that is also correct, but to be able to (turn off and on) 2 and 4 the series mode, having as a result:

In position 2: Coil split neck (South)+ Humbucker bridge.
              In position 4: Coil split bridge (North)+ Humbucker neck.

If you decide to remove the parallel mode, could you do the above? and what other combinations can I do in position 1, 3 and 5 of selector? Without changing the series mode and adding the ones I want in 2 and 4.
              If anything can be done, I haven't problem with removing the mode parallel. Thanks for taking the time to interpret the wiring and welcome.
              Last edited by Silence64; 09-09-2020, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Right...that way, when you have either the inside coils or outside coils, you will get hum-cancelling. I don't know if there is another way to accomplish that without flipping one of the magnets.
                Thanks! Mincer
                ​​​​​​​
                ​​​​​​To do the Parallel mode I have taken instead of a 4pdt, 2 push / pull. With the only difference that they have to operate both at the same time and I have no problem with that.

Comment

Still got your positions labeled backwards. 1=bridge, 5=neck.

Comment

Working...
                  X