Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pimp my Epiphone Les Paul Plustop Pro

Hi there

I want to pimp my 2014 Epiphone Les Paul Plustop Pro with new SD pickups. Now my ax has Epiphone Pro Bucker 2 + 3 pickups.

I really like the sound of Slash - so are the Signature Slash Pickups the best choice? Do they also sound great with an Epiphone? Or are the Alnico II Pro™ HB better for an Epiphone? And what about the cover? I now have the standard nickel cover. Should I order the pickups also with nickel cover or without cover? What is the difference in the sound?

Thanks!
    Guitar enthusiast and owner of All Stringed

I could be wrong but the Slash pickups are just a bit hotter version of the A2Ps. Think either one would get you in his ballpark with the Epi LP. Covers are a matter of preference, Ive never tested this but I have heard some report on here that covers knock a lil bit off the high end. Id take a listen to both and see which one sparks my interest the most. Tons of videos on Youtube and the sound samples on the main SD page.

Good luck on your pickup hunt and report back what you end up with putting in guitar.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by RockinRick View Post
      Hi there

I want to pimp my 2014 Epiphone Les Paul Plustop Pro with new SD pickups. Now my ax has Epiphone Pro Bucker 2 + 3 pickups.

I really like the sound of Slash - so are the Signature Slash Pickups the best choice? Do they also sound great with an Epiphone? Or are the Alnico II Pro™ HB better for an Epiphone? And what about the cover? I now have the standard nickel cover. Should I order the pickups also with nickel cover or without cover? What is the difference in the sound?

Thanks!
      Of course you know that Slash sounds like Slash because he's Slash.

Not only because he plays a Les Paul with AII Pros or Slash pickups through a Marshall Jubilee.

But the AII Pros are cool pickups. Never owned the Slash set.

My favorites are the Duncan Antiquitys and I DO remove the covers.

Without the covers they sound slightly brighter and more present.

More "rock 'n roll".
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I have heard a demo with the Slash set and they sounded really good to me.

Look up and DM Mincer on this forum; he has a good understanding of the different SD pickups and can give some solid advice on them.

Comment

Either the Slash or the original Alnico II Pro will get you Slash tone. His sig pickups are just a little hotter. But either of those into an LP and a Marshall is the ticket. Which one? I'd get whatever was on sale.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thank you for your answers!

I will check some more vids on YT and try to hear the difference - also with and without cover.

I will let you know what I will buy at the end :-)
            Guitar enthusiast and owner of All Stringed

Comment

The Slash set seems to be brighter to my ears and as others said a little bit hotter. I have always preferred the Alnico II pros over the signature set. Don't know why but the pros have that instant appetite for destruction tone always recognized. Anyway I'm not you and I don't have your guitar, so I can only give you my advice: the guitar is bright I'd go with the regular A2P set. If not the Slash set

Comment

The Slash set was developed to make his stage guitars (which are a lot newer than his Derrig Les Paul) sound like the Derrig Les Paul. That's what I've read in an interview with Slash himself. Heck, it might've been on the SD Blog. I've used the Slash neck before but not in a Les Paul. Fantastic pickup. I honestly don't think you can go wrong either way.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                  The Slash set was developed to make his stage guitars (which are a lot newer than his Derrig Les Paul) sound like the Derrig Les Paul. That's what I've read in an interview with Slash himself. Heck, it might've been on the SD Blog. I've used the Slash neck before but not in a Les Paul. Fantastic pickup. I honestly don't think you can go wrong either way.
                  Absolutely true. So, it makes production LPs sound closer to his classic LP copy.

Comment

As much as I like the standard A-II Pro's, I like the Slash set even better. (And I'm not a Slash fan.) The Slash set just has a bit more bite and punch that makes them worth it. It's subtle though. They are still A-II Pro's.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                      As much as I like the standard A-II Pro's, I like the Slash set even better. (And I'm not a Slash fan.) The Slash set just has a bit more bite and punch that makes them worth it. It's subtle though. They are still A-II Pro's.
                      Yeah, they are both in the same ballpark, really. It just depends if your guitar or amp needs a little more high end. Slash's production Gibsons apparently needed it.

Comment

I wonder if there's a roughcast A2 magnet in the Slash set and a polished A2 magnet in the AII Pro?
                        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                          I wonder if there's a roughcast A2 magnet in the Slash set and a polished A2 magnet in the AII Pro?
                          I can't answer that directly, because I still haven't done your 59 mag swap yet.

But the Slash A-II Pro's definitely have that je ne sais quoi that A-II Pro's don't have. If A-II Pro's are a Catholic shoolgirl, Slash A-II Pro's are a Catholic schoolgirl who just got expelled because her skirt is too short.

Comment

Fantastic description, Artie. Bravo, Sir!

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                              My AII pro has polished magnet in it

Comment

Working...
                              X