Do you need a trembucker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you need a trembucker?

I'm gonna buy a JB to combine with the jazz neck, but the normal spaced one is cheaper, does it matter at all? i don't care about the cosmetics really. my guitar has a floyd.

You don't "need need" one. If you want the poles to line up under the strings, get the TB version. If not, get the standard spaced version. I have a standard spaced PB in a Strat with a vintage style 6-screw bridge that's wide spaced and don't care. Sounds good to me.

Comment

Having the option of going trembucker, I don't see why you wouldn't. I guess I can understand getting a standard non-trem spaced JB if they only have that at the store, but there's always the option of buying online.

Comment

I faced the same issue recently, and chose the normal. I ended up exchanging it with a trembucker a week after install, I could tell the difference, and couldn't get it adjusted away. The trem-version fell right in, no problem and no adjustment needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
          Having the option of going trembucker, I don't see why you wouldn't. I guess I can understand getting a standard non-trem spaced JB if they only have that at the store, but there's always the option of buying online.
          it's a lot cheaper to buy the jb/jazz in set instead of buying them separately, if it's just cosmetics i rather save the money. and on the duncan website the Trembucker has a slightly higher DCR so i assume it will be hotter which might not be what i want.
          Last edited by Reee; 09-16-2020, 11:54 AM.

Comment

The trembucker is a lil highr dcr is because the slight difference in size between that and the standard size pickup. For hotter pickups, from understanding it doesnt matter. I have a standard size DD in one of my guitars I hear no issues with it. With lower output, that seems to be where the issue comes in with some dropout on the higher strings
            1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
            Jackson Soloist 7 string
            ESP LTD M-400
            Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
              The trembucker is a lil highr dcr is because the slight difference in size between that and the standard size pickup. For hotter pickups, from understanding it doesnt matter. I have a standard size DD in one of my guitars I hear no issues with it. With lower output, that seems to be where the issue comes in with some dropout on the higher strings
              does the DCR result in a difference in tone/output?

Comment

Not really, a JB sounds like a JB whether it is trembucker or not. Or if it doesnt its so minor you would not notice the difference
                Jackson Soloist 7 string
                ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Cool , i found a TB for pretty cheap so i guess i'll just buy that, it's in zebra which won't match but i couldn't care less about that!

Comment

Cool, good luck and hope the JB works out for you. Let us know how you like it
                    Jackson Soloist 7 string
                    ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
                      Cool, good luck and hope the JB works out for you. Let us know how you like it
                      i had one in a jackson that i sold a few years ago and never even considered swapping it out, then i sold it, bought a strat and went down the rabbit hole of trying all kinds of different stuff only to never be satisfied (Dimarzio distortion, breed, air classic, duncan custom 5, 59b, little 59 etc), i think the good old JB will serve me well.

I guess it is one of those cases where you have to try out a bunch of things because you feel like you might be missing out, only to come to the conclusion that what you had at first was the right thing all along.
                      Last edited by Reee; 09-16-2020, 01:04 PM.

Comment

It's really only about looks, but the TB spacing is spaced to match far more guitars on the market – all standard scale Fenders, and all Gibsons that don't have an ABR-1...and by extension, most copies of the same guitars. So unless you are specifically getting them for a "vintage" style guitar, the TB is usually the better option in terms of visual alignment and potential resale. That said, if the HB is significantly cheaper, go for it. It'll sound fine; it'll just look a bit off.
                        Last edited by ItsaBass; 09-16-2020, 03:53 PM.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Yogi Berra was correct.
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

You also end up bending the strings towards the poles with the standard spacing so it's not really a disadvantage. I usually just get stardard cuz I like the look. Although I do notice a slight difference in output and tone. TB sounds darker and hotter to me. Why wouldn't it? There's more wire on the coils.
                          Last edited by Clint 55; 09-16-2020, 05:47 PM.
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                            You also end up bending the strings towards the poles with the standard spacing so it's not really a disadvantage. I usually just get stardard cuz I like the look. Although I do notice a slight difference in output and tone. TB sounds darkers and hotter to me. Why wouldn't it? There's more wire on the coils.
                            that's interesting, according to the sticky the TB and SH JB have the same output (737)

Comment

FWIW - I’ve got a guitar with a ‘traditional’ 2-7/8” 6-screw trem that has ‘modern’ 2-1/8” saddle spacing. A ‘regular’ Humbucker spaces the strings over - but toward the outside - of the ‘E’ pole pieces. A ‘trem’ spaced Humbucker spaces the strings over - but toward the inside - of the ‘E’ pole pieces. If you have what most bridges consider ‘modern’ or ‘narrow’ spacing, I’d go with the standard pickup. Floyd’s line up nearly perfectly with the wider, ‘trem’ spaced pickups.

Comment

Working...
                              X