Is the PRS trem F-spaced or G-spaced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the PRS trem F-spaced or G-spaced?

I may o may not have a PRS SE on its way to me.

Wondering if the trem is F-spaced or G-spaced. I know that if I want to go DiMarzio, 99% of the time, F-spaced will line up better, even under Tune-O's. But how about Duncan? Would a trembucker be better of would a regular-spaced humbucker be fine? I know trembuckers are a bit too wide for Gibson-style bridges.

Yes, yes. I'm aware that many think polepiece alignment is more about aesthetics, but if I'm going to get a new pickup, I might as well make sure it lines up fine.

F spaced.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

My PRS se custom 24 stays in the middle. Outer pole pieces of bridge humbuckers are 50 mm far each other

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
        I know trembuckers are a bit too wide for Gibson-style bridges.
        Not necessarily. Gibson post 2000 have a wider bridge. I have a 2004 les paul standard and there is room for a trembucker in the bridge slot. Dimarzio website recommends a f spaced humbucker for those guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by EmiAba View Post
          My PRS se custom 24 stays in the middle. Outer pole pieces of bridge humbuckers are 50 mm far each other
          So I guess either the SH-x or the TB-x is good for that PRS SE, then? Or will I be off either way? Like, TB's will be too wide and SH's too narrow?

Originally posted by EmiAba View Post
          Not necessarily. Gibson post 2000 have a wider bridge. I have a 2004 les paul standard and there is room for a trembucker in the bridge slot. Dimarzio website recommends a f spaced humbucker for those guitars.
          DiMarzio F-spaced is narrower than Duncan Trembucker. Duncan Trembuckes are pretty enormous, LOL. I had a Black Winter Trembucker in my LTD EC-401 at some point, and the polepiece spacing was way off.
          Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 09-19-2020, 07:12 PM.

Comment

I put a tb-11 in it. There is no clereance between the humbucker and mounting ring but there's no problem in raising or lowering it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
              DiMarzio F-spaced is narrower than Duncan Trembucker. Duncan Trembuckes are pretty enormous, LOL. I had a Black Winter Trembucker in my LTD EC-401 at some point, and the polepiece spacing was way off.
              Yes you are right. And and F spaced humbucker is the perfect dimension for my les paul 2004. If you take a look to the guitar in my avatar you will see a little offset of the pole pieces of the bridge hb. They are not perfectly aligned to the strings. But dimarzio does not have a custom 8 in its production line so who cares

Comment

Did you get the Paul Allendar guitar?
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Thanks for the replies, dudes! I ended up getting a regular-spaced SH because that was the only thing in stock at the store. It seems to me like standard PRS pickups aren't trem-spaced, so I just went with it.

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                  Did you get the Paul Allendar guitar?
                  Yep! It's being setup by the local luthier as we speak! It came with a Custom in the bridge, but I swapped it out without even trying it because I *really* wanted a Black Winter in that guitar!

Comment

To my knowledge, PRS trem bridges are F-spaced, but they always ship regular spaced pickups anyway.

It's largely a cosmetic thing anyway, so you'll be fine with the standard spaced one

Comment

Working...
                    X