banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here play Vai’s Utopia or Dark Matter pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here play Vai’s Utopia or Dark Matter pickups?

I was wondering if anyone here had any personal experience with them. I’d really like to know what you think.

I have Gravity Storms in my JEM 77. I really like those. I wasn’t a fan of the Evolutions in any of the guitars I played.

As much as I <3 <3<3 Vai, I just didn’t like them. Plus none of the guitars were blue, so that was like a thing too

I guess it is the Seymour Duncan forum. I looked up the DiMarzio forum but there doesn’t seem to be anyone there?

Comment

We discuss all pickups here, including Dimarzio. I think you have asked about some less-popular models. I haven't seen much discussion of either and I am here most days.

Comment

I have played the Gravity Storms which are basically the Dark Matter pickups but without the pickups covers, they are pretty cool. I would describe them as very "clean" sounding and articulate pickups. Not a lot of extra frequencies in them, just straight ahead rock pickups that have pretty warm highs and good lows. I have them in Floyd rose equipped guitars. I think they are kind of in between the Dimarzio Breed and the Dimarzio Evolutions. Not as warm as the Breeds and not as bright as the Evos.

Comment

Well, if my Gravity Storms are Dark Matters without covers, I won’t worry about them.

Honestly, I don’t think Vai’s tone has really changed much pickup to pickup. He just sounds like himself, and other worldly!

Comment

If you’re asking about Vai pickups, check out the jemsite forum. They might be able to help too.
            18 Guitars and counting

The captain of sexy!

Comment

Working...
            X