banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to install or solder a vintage mini humbucker in a fender telecaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
    My guess would be 250k volume and 500k tone should work for both pickups. Its likely to be bright enough once you have the treble bleed circuit on the 250k volume.

If you were using the SM-1 pickup in a Firebird guitar, absolutely go for two 500k controls. However the Telecaster will have enough inherrant brightness to overcome the difference between the 250k/500k setup compared to two 500k controls.
    and the coaxial cable from the mini humbucker has to be in the volume pot even when tone would be 500k?

Comment

Originally posted by jazzyguy View Post

and the coaxial cable from the mini humbucker has to be in the volume pot even when tone would be 500k?
      The hot wire from the coaxial cable will go to the Pickup selector switch. The back of the volume pot is normally used as a grounding point, so the shield can be soldered there. Normally for Telecasters the tone control is wired directly to the Volume control, so the tone works in each selector position. I was just suggesting to substitute a 500k tone control for a 250k one, as it will make both bridge and neck pickups a bit brighter. Hopefully the tone of each pickup will balance ok, once you set the pickup heights correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post

The hot wire from the coaxial cable will go to the Pickup selector switch. The back of the volume pot is normally used as a grounding point, so the shield can be soldered there. Normally for Telecasters the tone control is wired directly to the Volume control, so the tone works in each selector position. I was just suggesting to substitute a 500k tone control for a 250k one, as it will make both bridge and neck pickups a bit brighter. Hopefully the tone of each pickup will balance ok, once you set the pickup heights correctly.
        i see your point, i will replace the pots with 500 k, im just waiting for the pots to arrive from stew-mac.
        i will let you know how it goes

Comment

I go with 500k pots.. wire it 50's style and try either a .022uf or .015uf cap.
          Your wires might be different but it will work just the same .. Is your 59 braided with a center hot wire like your mini or a 4 conductor .. doesn't really matter either one will work. with a 4 conductor you just have to tape the red & white wires together and leave them taped off loose .
          Click image for larger version

Name:	50's style telecaster wiring.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	6026311

Comment

I left the 250 in my Telecaster with the Hotrails and the guitar sounds amazing. I always leave the pots and caps stock when changing a pickup. If I do not get the desired sound I then change one component at a time.

Comment

Working...
            X