banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seymour's brightest sub-10k bridge humbucker is ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour's brightest sub-10k bridge humbucker is ?

Just a quick question :

According to your ears, what is Duncan's brightest [bridge] humbucker, in the sub 10k region ?
    The pick up is intended for a stupidly warm 'Gibson scale' guitar.

Thanks to all.
    EDIT : does Seymour Duncan have an equivalent to the DiMarzio EJ Custom ?

Last edited by SirJackdeFuzz II; 10-13-2020, 03:35 AM.
    Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Stock, probably the A5 Jazz but really any of them. Swap in an A5 or an A9 if you want to die.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

I would get the Jazz set and be done with it. I replaced a Burstbucker 3 with a Jazz Bridge and difference was stark. The BB3 didn't even sound that bad but the Jazz just had so much more clarity and chime. The Jazz Bridge also has one the best clean tones by itself I've ever heard.
      Last edited by TVFV; 10-13-2020, 04:16 AM.
      "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by TVFV View Post
        I would get the Jazz set and be done with it. I replaced a Burstbucker 3 with a Jazz Bridge and difference was stark. The BB3 didn't even sound that bad but the Jazz just had so much more clarity and chime. The Jazz Bridge also has one the best clean tones by itself I've ever heard.

Thanks TVFV

Comment

That would be the Jazz, to me. The neck Full Shred in the bridge might be a touch brighter.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Both Pearly Gates and Jazz are similarly bright. I've used both interchangeable in neck and bridge as mixed sets.

Comment

wow, you and i hear things very differently

Comment

maybe new production is different? could also be the guitars they are used in.

Comment

For Duncans, it's the Jazz.

It's not so much about "most treble," but "most treble balanced," or "most apparent treble." The Jazzes, IME, have no "more" treble than many other PAF style pickups. But they have less low end swamping things up, so the pickup sounds more clear over all, and the treble that is there appears to dominate. Again, the "treble" of the Jazz is more about clarity than the absolute levels of treble on tap.

That said, if the EJ Custom sounds right, get one (or a pair). They are one of the best humbuckers ever made IMO.

There's a guy on here who says the JB in parallel sounds very similar to the EJs, in theory. Having had a JB on a Triple Shot, I don't hear that, myself. The EJs are middier and more aggressive than a JB in parallel.
                  Last edited by ItsaBass; 10-13-2020, 04:00 PM.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

The Demon and PG are pretty bright. The Jazz is the brightest.

Comment

GREAT info !

I will look into both the Jazz and PG

Keep 'em coming.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                        For Duncans, it's the Jazz.

It's not so much about "most treble," but "most treble balanced," or "most apparent treble." The Jazzes, IME, have no "more" treble than many other PAF style pickups. But they have less low end swamping things up, so the pickup sounds more clear over all, and the treble that is there appears to dominate. Again, the "treble" of the Jazz is more about clarity than the absolute levels of treble on tap.

That said, if the EJ Custom sounds right, get one (or a pair). They are one of the best humbuckers ever made IMO.

There's a guy on here who says the JB in parallel sounds very similar to the EJs, in theory. Having had a JB on a Triple Shot, I don't hear that, myself. The EJs are middier and more aggressive than a JB in parallel.
                        Great info . . . thank you very much !

Comment

I find the Jazz to be bright but not thin. The Demon can be a bit thin to my ears, even in a 'fat' sounding guitar. In the neck, though, it's way too fat for my taste.

Ergo. I lost my appetite for the Demon.

Comment

Buy the ej.

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post
                              Just a quick question :

According to your ears, what is Duncan's brightest [bridge] humbucker, in the sub 10k region ?
                              The pick up is intended for a stupidly warm 'Gibson scale' guitar.

Thanks to all.
                              EDIT : does Seymour Duncan have an equivalent to the DiMarzio EJ Custom ?

https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/vin...-custom-bridge
                              There's no real difference between a neck and bridge pickup (assuming neither is "F spaced"), so there's no reason you couldn't use any brighter neck pickup in the bridge position. In the old days, there were no bridge or neck pickups, it was all the same pickups.

It's all a matter of inductance, a bridge pickup will tend to be closer to 5 henries, and a neck 4 henries, so that the neck will be clearer and the bridge a little thicker. Suppose you want a 4 henry bridge, just put a neck '59, or the like, in the bridge spot.

Comment

Working...
                              X