HSS 1 vol 1 tone wiring help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSS 1 vol 1 tone wiring help

Hi everyone, I'm a wiring noob. I'm wiring up a HSS pickguard with 2 SD Antiquity Surfer single coils and a Suhr Thornbucker+ with 1 volume and 1 tone and an Oak Grisby 5 way switch. I came across the attached Bare Knuckle wiring diagram and found a youtube video about using 470k resistors to balance the single coils with the humbucker (1 each from the neck and middle hot position to B3 (shown as ground) on the switch). I understand that the color code for the Bare Knuckle and SD pickups are different. For reference with the Suhr humbucker, I used black=hot, red/white=single coil split and green/bare for ground. In position 1 (full humbucker), it works fine. In position 2, the screw coil and the middle and neck are on (not what I wanted). In positions 3-5 it's not switching pickups..neck and middle are always on. I've attached pictures of the wiring I've done. Can anyone help? I'm really frustrated!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rapaul76; 10-13-2020, 06:02 PM.

Anyone?

Comment

I have a really bad headache so excuse me for not being more helpful, but the reason it's not working is because when you are in positions 2 through 4 on the switch, it's making the humbucker employ. One can kind of do a wiring where the single coils see the volume as 250k when 2 tones are present. I will toss you a picture of that. But I don't think you can do it with one tone and still have the auto split you want on the humbucker. I have included a pic of being able to do it while sacrificing auto splitting of the humbucker.

Comment

Actually that middle picture's wiring could work for auto split and pickups seeing 250k resistance on the volume. You have to ignore the tones being hooked up to the middle and neck pickups though, then hook your tone up to the volume pot like normal in a 1 volume 1 tone situation.. I think.. Baaad headache.

Comment

OP looks you you didn’t follow the diagram correctly to start with, and “bridging” the resistors across to the bridge side of the blade switch made the neck/middle and bridge pickup on for several positions.

It looks like you’ve got the bridge hot on the common lug of the wrong side of the blade switch. I’m not seeing where the ground is on the bridge splitting side of the switch, but you’ve effectively connected the middle and neck together via the resistors so they are always on together.

Lastly, the tone cap leg coming from the pot lug can’t be touching the back of the pot like that or it will ground out the cap and effectively become a second volume in series.

Comment

Working...
          X