SD 78 vs. Suhr Thornbucker bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD 78 vs. Suhr Thornbucker bridge

Looking for the most bell-like response for single-notes, without honky mids, and with the most clarity, in a high gain setting. Guitar is a Suhr Modern Satin, amp is a Boogie Mark IIc+.

I have the Suhr SSV in the neck, and I absolutely love it for what I described above. Tons of bell-like resonance, and splits really well.

I've tried the Suhr SSH+, SSH, SSV+, and DSV in the bridge. None of them quite did it for me- not enough of that bell-like ring.
    Last edited by ericcomposer72; 10-23-2020, 11:38 AM.

I wouldn't call the 78 Model "bell-like." The most "bell-like" I've played that wasn't honky mids was the Brobucker, but I wouldn't use it for high gain. Perhaps a Custom Custom might work for both bell mids and handle some gain. But I don't have a Suhr guitar or Mesa Boogie.

Comment

78 is supposed to be an EVH-inspired bucker right? Then unless they screwed it up, it's gonna have mids

There's plenty of scooped pups in the SD catalogue. Look for those.

Or, hey, SINGLE COILS. Want bells, go Fender.
      "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        I wouldn't call the 78 Model "bell-like." The most "bell-like" I've played that wasn't honky mids was the Brobucker, but I wouldn't use it for high gain. Perhaps a Custom Custom might work for both bell mids and handle some gain. But I don't have a Suhr guitar or Mesa Boogie.
        Check this out:

He's splitting the 78 in this clip, but still, it is an extremely juicy, bell-like sound. I found that pickups that do this very well split still maintain a bit of the bell-like quality when full.

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
          78 is supposed to be an EVH-inspired bucker right? Then unless they screwed it up, it's gonna have mids

To clarify- not looking for scooped necessarily, just not "honky" mids. I tried the Suhr SSV+, and I would describe those mids as "honky," almost in an obnoxious way. Even, so, I think it's an awesome pickup, just not what I would want to play every day.

I would try a scooped pickup, if it was vintage-style, lower output, very open/not-compressed, with that bell-like resonance.

Definitely looking for a humbucker, though

Comment

N.B.- I have a Suhr Thornbucker arriving in the mail today; however, I need to drill out the lugs to install it into my Suhr Modern Satin (direct mount pickups), so I want to be sure I'm not missing out on another good option before I destroy its resell value!

N.B. 2- I have the Suhr SSV neck installed in the Modern Satin, and I absolutely love it. It gives such a beautiful bell-like resonance, and when split, really evokes a strat-y sound. I edited my OP to mention this pickup.

Comment

i am not sure about bell like, but the screamin demon might be what you are looking for!
              it has a bright attack.

it‘s not high output, open/not compressed, got the clarity and holds up perfectly under gain!

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post

Mine sounds thin. but granted I didn't put it in an Alder strat with w/Floyd so far. But relatively, it sounds like a Pearly Gates with the bass rolled off. IME that's what makes it able to get the starved-plate brown sound without a Variac.

Comment

Originally posted by ericcomposer72 View Post

Check this out:

He's splitting the 78 in this clip, but still, it is an extremely juicy, bell-like sound. I found that pickups that do this very well split still maintain a bit of the bell-like quality when full.
                  I would be interested to know what the amp was.

That just sounds like the tone is rolled off to me. I would not have thought of that as bell like, but that is cool - everyone has their own words for sounds.
                  Last edited by beaubrummels; 10-23-2020, 05:52 PM.

Comment

I'm going to suggest something completely different: the Anderson H2. (Not the H2+, which is overwound like a JB. The regular H2.)
                    These are made with rod magnets like a singlecoil and it gives them a more bell-like character.
                    Nice fast attack and great definition, without sacrificing fullness.
                    Another benefit is that they split amazingly well.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I'm surprised you can't get the tones you want with either Suhr SSV+ or SSH. I doubt the Thornbucker is going to solve this for you. Compared to SSV+, the Thornbucker bridge has more mids, and lower output. I've used them both in the same guitar. On top of that, the Thornbucker will typically give a warm balance in a guitar that is largely Mahogany construction. The PT signature guitar is all mahogany and its actually mid heavy on the bridge pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by ericcomposer72 View Post
                        N.B.- I have a Suhr Thornbucker arriving in the mail today; however, I need to drill out the lugs to install it into my Suhr Modern Satin (direct mount pickups), so I want to be sure I'm not missing out on another good option before I destroy its resell value!

N.B. 2- I have the Suhr SSV neck installed in the Modern Satin, and I absolutely love it. It gives such a beautiful bell-like resonance, and when split, really evokes a strat-y sound. I edited my OP to mention this pickup.
                        did you ever try an SSV in the bridge?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

I would be interested to know what the amp was.

That just sounds like the tone is rolled off to me. I would not have thought of that as bell like, but that is cool - everyone has their own words for sounds.
                          It's not so much how it is EQ'd (not much to do with the tone knob's affect on the sound), it is a particular resonance of the string that is picked up by the pickup. I'll post some other examples.

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
                            I'm surprised you can't get the tones you want with either Suhr SSV+ or SSH. I doubt the Thornbucker is going to solve this for you. Compared to SSV+, the Thornbucker bridge has more mids, and lower output. I've used them both in the same guitar. On top of that, the Thornbucker will typically give a warm balance in a guitar that is largely Mahogany construction. The PT signature guitar is all mahogany and its actually mid heavy on the bridge pickup.
                            I guess "mids" is actually not specific enough a term. I found the mids in the SSV+ to be too "honky;" nasal, upper-mids. These mids are actually really good for sound projecting and cutting through, just not what I was looking for.

I find the mids in the Thornbucker to be more low-mids (like what are accentuated with a closed wah pedal- not that is sounds like a closed wah, but those frequencies are stronger). I also find the Thornbucker to give me the bell-like resonance more readily than all of the other Suhr pickups I've tried. In that regard, the fact that people describe it as more of a 'single coil" response is what does it. As mentioned, single-coils naturally pick up that bell-like resonance.

Generally, I don't see many people who play with high gain looking for this type of resonant response from their [humbucker] pickups (and vice-versa- many people who use the pickups I like don't play with the amount of gain I use). It's been an interesting search. So far, I'm pleased with the Thornbucker. Perhaps there is still something out there that does it even better, though.
                            Last edited by ericcomposer72; 10-24-2020, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post

did you ever try an SSV in the bridge?
                              I was about to, but I went for the DSV. I had read (even expressed by Mr. Suhr himself) that the "DS" series has less mids and a warmer sound than the "SS" series, so I went with that one. Perhaps the fact that the SSV is unbalanced would have actually gotten what I wanted a letter better, now that I understand them more. However, all recommendations (including from Suhr customer service) were that the Thornbucker would do what I want better than the SSV, even if similar.

My Thornbucker arrived yesterday, and so far I like it.

Edit: with all of that said, I still do not exclude the fact that the SSV could possibly do what I want even better, despite all of the conflicting advice!
                              Last edited by ericcomposer72; 10-24-2020, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X