Duncan Distortion in an Explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Distortion in an Explorer

Hi guys, I recently got a 2007 Gibson Explorer (mahogany body and neck/rosewood board). I was considering putting a Distortion in it. I'm the lead guitarist and we play 70's and 80's hard rock and metal with some 90's downtuned stuff (Drop D). I've used a Distortion before but not in a mahogany guitar and it's been decades so my memory of it is a little fuzzy, lol. I need something with good sustain and harmonics. Also, I love Matthias Jabs tone from the 70's and 80's. I know he used T-Tops back then for the most part. He did use JB's for a while in the 80's. Has anyone used a Distortion in an Explorer? What were your experiences with it? Thanks in advance.

Not exacrly the same, but I have a DD in my Iceman which is mahogany with a maple cap, mahogany neck and rosewood board.. I absolutely love it. It will def do thoses 80s hard rock tones and can pull off those 90s drop d tuning. The DD is by far my fave pjck Ive tried.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
      I've used the Distortion in a V, which is pretty close to an Explorer. The Distortion is awesome in mahogany, and probably my favorite wood for that particular pickup. Brighter woods tend to bring out the stuff in the Distortion I don't like, but mahogany sounds great. I would think you'd be happy.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I really like the Scorpions music from the 80’s! I bet an Explorer with a Duncan Distortion would ROCK

Explorers are just too big for me play though!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gtrgrl View Post
          I really like the Scorpions music from the 80’s! I bet an Explorer with a Duncan Distortion would ROCK

Me, too.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have a Duncan Distortion in a Jackson Kelly - an explorer in shape only (slightly). It's an alder body, bolt on maple neck, 25.5" scale, and a floyd rose. having said that, this guitar probably has a more open and big sound than my les paul. I can't say if it's what you're looking for, but I can tell you that it's a great sounding pickup. Worth taking a chance on? most definitely.

But considering that you're main bag is 70's/80's hard rock, and you have a Gibson guitar, I can't help but wonder if a DiMarzio Super Distortion wouldn't be the better fit for you. Between the two, however, I think that the Duncan Distortion might produce a better clean-tone sound.

Comment

For OP, I would think a Custom might be better in mahogany. Actually, not sure what would give the best harmonics, but the Custom has tighter bottom end and some brightness to work with. I haven't used a Distortion in an Explorer, but in my LP Studio and SG, the bottom end was a little buzzy/fuzzy on the Duncan Distortion. (It was a good thing for me, did Led Zeppelin IV riffs really well, but it was limited when I tried other stuff.)

Originally posted by gtrgrl View Post

Ever see or try a Gibson X-plorer Pro?

2003 Gibson X-plorer Studio Blue Finish + Gig Bag The Gibson X-plorer Studio (model DSXS) was introduced in January 2003. It had the same slightly scaled-down body size as the Gibson X-plorer Pro model, but was more affordable because it did not have the maple top or elaborate ornamentation and b...

Last edited by beaubrummels; 10-25-2020, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Custom or Distortion. But the Custom is a bit more polite.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X