Reassure me I'm not crazy for wanting the Custom Custom in my les paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by singlecutarmy View Post

Hopefully it works well for you! I'm on the fence because I like a lot of pickups. Even the stock ones in it are actually pretty solid.

Part of me wants to put a real fire breather in it and have a mean ass les paul, like a JB, or stick with the Custom I have. Another wants 3 phat Cats... oh the choices.
    Last night at rehearsal, the Les Paul sounded fantastic. I got all I wanted out of it from subtle soft notes to full on over the top. To give you a reference, I'm in a Journey Tribute band so there's a whole set of dynamics I need to be able to achieve. And I have to say that it is better suited for my DI setup at rehearsal (Fly Rig 5 v2 with a Boss OD-3 and Keeley Compressor out front).
    Last edited by ErikH; 10-27-2020, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by singlecutarmy View Post

I'm worried about melting the wax potting when removing the cover since I had a not so great soldering iron.
      I'd watch some videos about it. But if you are in the US, you can buy the pickup with the 21 day exchange program in case it doesn't work for you.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Why wouldn't you put it in the bridge of a Les Paul? Just imagine it with a Jazz or 59 neck.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          Why wouldn't you put it in the bridge of a Les Paul? Just imagine it with a Jazz or 59 neck.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
          I was thinking a slash in the neck but the stock epiphone neck is similar and really good so I may not even touch it.

I like the bridge pickup which is according to the site a Probucker III which is specced like a burstbucker, but I want more output, so Custom Custom seems right there. Only other high output A2 on the market is the EVH frankenstein.
          Last edited by singlecutarmy; 10-27-2020, 07:05 PM.

Comment

I'm seriously thinking to swap the magnet in my C8 with a A2 in one of my les paul. That les paul is a keeper for me. It has a 59A4 and a C8 now. I wonder how it will sound with a PGn and a Custom custom

Comment

Originally posted by EmiAba View Post
              I'm seriously thinking to swap the magnet in my C8 with a A2 in one of my les paul. That les paul is a keeper for me. It has a 59A4 and a C8 now. I wonder how it will sound with a PGn and a Custom custom
              If you do that, let us know how it turns out.

Comment

It's been a minute since I posted this but I finally got it and installed it.

I went from the stock Probucker 3 to a Custom to a Custom Custom. Here's my best take on each:

PB 3: Has a bit of a soft feeling to it, but not muddy or undefined. Good for blues / rock but not so much metal. The upper mids have a nastiness, but not in a fun way, which was my main issue.

Custom: Higher powered, more scooped, tight low end. Sounds great for what it's meant for, but kind of lacking in that little something I want.

Custom custom: Perfection! It adds the mids back that the Custom is lacking without really feeling like I'm loosing anything. It sings clearer and has a warmth to it, but the bottom end still chugs just fine. I love the attack on it. It's pronounced without feeling brittle. I can do super fast, tight runs and still hear every note.

Comment

Glad to hear it's working out for you. I'm really glad I went back to that the CC. Ended getting another for one of my HH Strats. Perfection!

Comment

I am happy the CC is working. For some reason, it works well in LPs when it shouldn't on paper.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      I am happy the CC is working. For some reason, it works well in LPs when it shouldn't on paper.
                      I've stopped putting much stock into what can / should work and kinda follow my gut. In the SD demo video for the 3 custom series, I could hear the subtle tonal differences between the C and CC, and it sounded like the exact changes I wanted to make, given I'm familiar with the Custom. It's always been a smidge dark for me and I like something with more warmth

Comment

There are definitely people out there that have very strong opinions about pickups they've never tried. haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          There are definitely people out there that have very strong opinions about pickups they've never tried. haha.
                          It took me too long to try a JB because of this. I need to get another at some point since I sold the guitar I had it in.

Comment

There is no doubt a CC can work. The mids are so big, and the swath it covers is huge. It can definitely crunch because of that. I don't mind it to have the Thump of the Custom though. I can see that in a band it would definitely cut through on every note.

Depending on the amp - might be awesome. My Mesa Stiletto is pretty bright. It would really work on that. My Marshall, not so much.

Glad you dig it. Is this guitar the one in the pic, with a bigsby?
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Not crazy at all

Comment

Neal Schon used the CC for a while, maybe still does. Not solely a Les Paul guy, but he is a LP fan. I'd say it works in his case.
                                Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Working...
                                X