I made a JB Pickup Swap Video...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I made a JB Pickup Swap Video...

Hi All! Long-time-viewer/lurker here. Wanted to share a video I recently made when I was building my Warmoth Strat; the plan was to put a JB in the bridge, but I wanted to experiment with different magnets. Decided that I'd record it (just so I could remember what each variation sounded like), and this is the result.

I made two versions - one that has a lot (probably too much) of me jawing on about the magnets I used, my thoughts, etc., and then one short/sweet video with clips only. Both are included below.

Outside of the Roughcast A5, I only used polished Alnico mags. I've got the Roughcast magnets and will be recording a followup with only Roughcast mags. Hope this helps folks out!

Long Video:

Clips Only:

Very well done. I preferred the UOA5 JB above the rest
    Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Cool!
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Looks interesting, will check it out later when I have some time.

Comment

Originally posted by gsammo79 View Post
          Very well done. I preferred the UOA5 JB above the rest
          Yeah, surprisingly enough, me too. Would have been nice to have an A3 & A4 etc in there too for comparison though.

Comment

I will say that the UOA5 JB is still in the guitar. May change when I do the Roughcast comparison, but it has a really cool sound. I think ultimately it'll come down to A2 vs. the UOA5. A8 was intriguing for high-gain, but not as versatile.

Comment

I currently have an A2 in the JB in my Hamer Mirage and I like the fact that the mids are tamed down a little from the stock A5, however it has what I can only describe as a spongy sound which I'm not crazy about.
              At some point when I have more time available I want to try out a spare A3 (& maybe RCA4 if that doesn't do it either) that I have lying around.

I have noticed that same sponginess in A8 too, like a lack of definition. Maybe the dominant frequency is more spread

Comment

I'll get some A3s and A4s and add those to the next video!

Comment

Working...
                X