banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does BOTH Distorsion neck and bridge pickup split ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does BOTH Distorsion neck and bridge pickup split ?

Hey guys !

I plan on changing pickups on a Gibson Flying V Pro I own (so full-on mahogany body and neck with rosewood board), I want to make it a high output one (currently stock classic'57/burstbucker 3 set) so I'm leaning toward the Distorsion set, especially since the guitar has a stock split mode for both neck and bridge.

Figured with their high output, both Distorsion neck and bridge should do good impressionon a single-coil mode, do they ? I'm especially asking for the NECK model. Does it sound more convincing than other neck pickups when split ?

It’s not to far from the distortion, but the best split tones I have are black winters. It’s too bad they get grouped with being just for being black metal because they are great. The neck pickup especially sounds amazing split and full. Much more versatile than you would think.

Comment

Actually, it does.
      In general, higher output pickups sound best split, but there are a few low and medium output ones that do well. The split sound of the Distortion is bright, but it is a good sound.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Ok cool. What I picture in my head about the Distorsion neck split, would be a bright and spanky tone with an output of something like 6k or 6.5k which sounds to me like it could give some cool single coil neck tone.

Never played on a ceramic high output neck humbucker by the way. Always the usual Alnico/low output ones ('59, Jazz, A2P, Seth Lover, Classic 57, 490R etc...). Would be interesting to see how they compare.

P.S : heard good things about Black Winter, but it's more expensive where I'm at. I'm just shooting for the affordable set, so it's either Distorsion Mayhem, or the SH2/SH4 one.
        Last edited by Lorenzar; 11-06-2020, 06:36 AM.

Comment

the distortion set splits very well. there is an output drop but the tone is very usable

Comment

right on ! gonna go down this route !

Comment

It's been awhile since I had the Mayhem set, but I do remember that I almost liked them better split than full-on. Distortions split great.

Comment

Working...
              X