Unmatched HB bobbin windings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unmatched HB bobbin windings

I'm aware the brobucker has unmatched bobbin windings. What other SD HBs are? The Seth's must be too right? And the 59?

most all duncan buckers are symmetrically wound including the seth and 59

Comment

The '59/Custom Hybrid is the most obvious example. I'm not sure that anything else on the standard production line is deliberately mismatched.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

No, Duncan don't go down that route at all with any of the 'single origin' pickups.

Comment

You have to make ur own by hybridizing a neck and bridge set.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

The P-Rail & Hybrid are the ones off the top of my head. There has been lots of talk on this forum about creating your own Hybrids, but it doesn't seem to be a thing that SD concentrates on. They tend to stick with more vintage-inspired designs. Symmetrical coils have the best hum-reduction, though.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

IMO, there are two completely different things here.
              1. Mismatched in the sense that you have the same gauge, same winding pattern, but a “slightly” to “substantial” mismatch on each bobbin.
              2. Mismatched like the C/59 hybrid where the gauges are different, DCR and inductance are different, etc.

I remember Dimarzio having a patent on twin resonance technology or something. Which scenario does that apply to above and is it still in place?
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                1. Mismatched in the sense that you have the same gauge, same winding pattern, but a “slightly” to “substantial” mismatch on each bobbin.
                2. Mismatched like the C/59 hybrid where the gauges are different, DCR and inductance are different, etc.

I remember Dimarzio having a patent on twin resonance technology or something. Which scenario does that apply to above and is it still in place?
                I meant #1. Like the original PAFs. Gibson burstbuckers are still mismatched intentionally. Some say pickups are more airy when mismatched. I don't notice any hum with the mismatch.

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post

I meant #1. Like the original PAFs. Gibson burstbuckers are still mismatched intentionally. Some say pickups are more airy when mismatched. I don't notice any hum with the mismatch.
                  Firstly, IME, Gibson Burstbuckers being mismatched is not true. They are mismatched no more than any other Gibson pickups – at least the ones I've owned.

"Airy" doesn't mean much, on an objective level, so its use doesn't have much bearing on the facts of the matter. With the level of mismatch that you see in Burstbuckers (and most other humbuckers), you get slight accentuations of certain frequencies, and slight attenuations of others. But again, these mismatches are common on almost all humbuckers, and almost always random, not "tuned" by design.

DiMarzio does indeed "tune" their coils differently sometimes, to have deliberate frequency effects, on at least a few of their humbuckers. But with Duncan and Gibson, it's almost always random.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post

That’s what I think of as well, and for the same reason. A little more high end due to fewer cancelations.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post

Firstly, IME, Gibson Burstbuckers being mismatched is not true.

Comment

^ Zhangbucker too has measured the coils of BB's he's had come through his workshop, and found them no more or less mismatched than any other pickup designed to be symmetrically wound.

Comment

Gibson advertises the BB to have a mismatch while the 57/57+ are symmetrical. With 4900/4700 winds can you measure the difference? The percentage difference in winds is tiny. Probably less than the instrument accuracy.

Comment

200 turns is within tolerance but a measurable difference

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

DiMarzio's patent covered #2 but it has since expired, which is why the '59/Custom Hybrid is a production model now. When I first heard about the Hybrid in 2004, the DiMarzio patent was still in effect, so SD couldn't legally make them.
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                              X