Squier Pawn 51 & SD Invader SH8 wiring options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squier Pawn 51 & SD Invader SH8 wiring options

Hello all, I am new to the forum, -I've been reading it for a few years- and also quite new to the electronics of guitar!

Also, please forgive my english, as it's not my native language.

I just got a nice Squier pawn 51, and I wanted to put a SH8 in replacement of the stock bridge pickup.
    As you probably know, the 51 has a splitable humbucker at the bridge position, using a push pull on the volume pot.

I've read here that the SH8 in split or parallel is great, quite P-90ish, and I'm really curious about that.

I have three wiring options, and I'd like to have some more-expert-than-I point of view:

Option 1
    series / parallel : I already have a Stratocaster equiped with a series SH8, it's been 15 years and I love it. I assume that this set up will offer more versatility than the second one but, I am afraid that the series position would sound too similar to my good old strat.

Option 2
    paralell / split : I am very curious about this set up, but I am afraid that the parallel / split position would sound too close so I lose some versatility (from what I read, parallel would be a little more full, and hum cancelling and that's it).

Option 3
    series / split : This will be the easy pick, as I'll just have to swap the stock pickup with the Invader, but it will embody the negative sides of the two other options.

My question, is : which one of the 3 options seems the more interesting to you guys, keeping in mind that I already own a guitar with a series SH8?
    Also if I split it, which coil would be the best in this pickup / guitar configuration ? I have searched the place for this question, but no answer seems to correspond to this issue.

Thank you very much for reading, feel fee to ask for details about my subject! I'll be happy to share some pictures of it further!

Regards

Mystical3376

I see that you saw my answer in another thread, but I'll add this here: For me, I'd go option #1. Even though you already have a series version, it's always nice to be able to go back and forth at the flip of a switch. Rather than setting one guitar down and grabbing the other. Then there's always this: make this your Invader axe and try something new and interesting in your Strat.

Comment

Option 1: the split mode sounds not as good as the parallel and creates hum
      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Thank you guys for your swift answers!

ArtieToo, unfortunately there is no way I do something else with my strat, I love it that way, I've been stripping it for years to a 1 volume 1 SH8 + tone control (+ fixed bridge). But now that you mention it, it starts itching As I use this strat in my hardcore band, maybe some even beefier pickup would be fun?

Hamerfan, could you please tell me more about the difference between the split & parallel wirings ? I understand it does not really worth it but I'm curious. Expect the hum thing, that I don't dig as I usually play hi-gain stuff.

Anyway, thanks again for your advice, have a nice day!

Comment

No prob man. I've got the same pup set in a couple different guitars. Split and parallel are very close to each other. Parallel, of course, has the advantage of being humbucking. But it's also a more harmonically rich tone because the two coils are sensing slightly offset string nodes. I almost always prefer parallel to split, unless I'm splitting it with another pup.

Comment

Working...
          X