Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Invader

Any Invader players here?

You don't hear much talk about the Invader. I remember trying one out in the late 90s and wasn't all that impressed by it then. Now it could had just been the strat I was playing with a single volume and no tone and the amp at the time. I remember it was very bassy with a ton of mids but can't remember much else about it. The look of the Invader is awesome, though, and I am considering picking one up used and giving it another shot.

The 90s were really the Invader's heyday, but I'd be curious to hear what players today are using it for.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Wasn't Hetfield's early sound an Invader?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't know why anyone besides Tom Delonge would play an Invader.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

The Invader could be cool depending on what you're doing with it, but when I had one I though the bottom end was too loose for me lol. The Invader had good harmonics and good mids, I just didn't like the low end IMO.

Comment

I've been using it for 15 years on a Delonge-ish strat, this is a straight to the goal pickup, but not only.
            Used stock, at full volume, the bass and mid-bass are better cut a little, so the sound doesnt turn to be muddy. But it's not even an obligation.
            I've been playing hardcore, punk hardcore to brutal death music, and it does well with its great amount of output. With the bass cut a little, the palm muted parts are nice, with a lot of presence and still well defined.
            It has a nice organic overall sound IMO, which makes it more "loveable" than active pickups, while it has huge output capacities.
            The best improvement I made during these 15 years was to add a treble bleed kit, so you can leash it without screwing your tone.

I am curious about how and why people don't use it anymore though
            Last edited by Mystical3376; 11-09-2020, 05:42 AM.

Comment

I think the perception is that it only does one thing, and it has an overpowering mid-heavy sound. Other pickups, like the newer Black Winter have mids without the same compression, and are more modern & versatile. This doesn't discount the Invader. What it does, it does really well.

Comment

The Invader really shines in an HSS Strat, where you have it split for the #2 position and parallel for #1. Then make it Master Vol/Tone and use the third hole for a blower switch to run the Invader full series. Works good, sounds great. I've had Invaders in a couple different guitars, and just did a pair in a customers Ibby. I really like them. Especially if you utilize series/split/parallel options. The Invader parallel is a great clean tone.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                  The Invader really shines in an HSS Strat, where you have it split for the #2 position and parallel for #1. Then make it Master Vol/Tone and use the third hole for a blower switch to run the Invader full series. Works good, sounds great. I've had Invaders in a couple different guitars, and just did a pair in a customers Ibby. I really like them. Especially if you utilize series/split/parallel options. The Invader parallel is a great clean tone.
                  Sir, you just answered the question that I asked yesterday on another topic below !

Comment

I'm often "out of sync."

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                      All of this is great to know, especially for those who think it is only good for one thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                        Wasn't Hetfield's early sound an Invader?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
                        The only Invader I've heard of James Hetfield using was in the white King V that he played for The Thing That Should Not Be during the Master of Puppets tour. I've heard that he had a Distortion in the Electra Flying V copy, which would've been used onKill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning. Puppets was recorded with the Explorer and stock Dirty Fingers prior to installing EMGs in '87.
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I've tried it a few times, and heard it a bunch of times, and I've just never been impressed. Too big, too loose in the bass. JMO.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post

The only Invader I've heard of James Hetfield using was in the white King V that he played for The Thing That Should Not Be during the Master of Puppets tour. I've heard that he had a Distortion in the Electra Flying V copy, which would've been used onKill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning. Puppets was recorded with the Explorer and stock Dirty Fingers prior to installing EMGs in '87.
                            Lot of metal bands in the 80s and 90s were using the Invader. I'm going to pick up a used set and compare them to the Nazgul & Sentient in a 7 string M ESP. The Nazgul sounds killer in this guitar. Hoping the Invader is just as good...
                            Attached Files

Comment

The Nazgul and Invader are very differently EQ'd pickups. I'd be interested to know what you make of the difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X