Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations - Jumping From EMGs

Hello all,

Looking for a little advice from those who have more experience with pickups. I'm a long-time user of EMGs, tried to make the jump to passives a few years ago with Black Winters, but as those who have had the "EMG bug" know there's something about them for percussive rhythm that is nice to have.

That said, with extra guitars I'm looking at trying to switch my main guitar to passives. It's a JS2400 (basswood/rosewood) in a H-S combo; I first put a 57 for the H and a SA for the S, and it has been adequate for a while, but looking to expand the tonal variety available to me.

My first thoughts are to try a Black Winter again with a Hot Rails, coil split. For tone - generally on the heavier side, Skolnick from Testament in particular, but thrashy-to-melodeth, looking to clean up a bit more. Issue is more the SA than the 57, which has nice tones, but is still an EMG and sounds like an EMG on recordings (latest Death Angel, Judas Priest for example). Might be why Skolnick stands out lately with his custom Duncans.

Long winded rant over. All suggestions welcome. MIght end up converting my other guitars to passives if this works out.

Thanks
    ESP LTD H-1000 Deluxe w/EMG's (81/85)
    Dean Vendetta 4.0 w/Floyd Rose and SD Blackouts

Peavey 5150 II Head, Marshall 1960A Slanted Cab

My picks would be...

Pegasus
    Black Winter
    Nazgul
    Distortion
    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

I think the Hot Rails in parallel would be a better sound.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
      X