No announcement yet.

Your Favorite DiMarzio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love the Gen 2s in my Parker I am also a sucker for a Super D.

Comment

I like many DiMarzios. With Duncan, I can easily say my favorite is the Seth; it stands far above anything else in their lineup. With DiMarzio, it's hard to say whether it's the EJ Custom, Bluesbucker, PAF Master, PAF, '59, Red Velvet...etc. And as someone who isn't really into high output (or even medium output) pickups, I even find the Super Distortion to be an excellent pickup, as well as the Super 2 and the Humbucker from Hell. Their single coil sized rails are outstanding, and numerous...and they actually look "normal," unlike the Duncan rails with those goofy looking little "cartoon character butts" on the ends (wouldn't use 'em even if they sounded amazing). They all sound great, and they are each unique, both within the DiMarzio lineup and among pickups in general. I also think their descriptions are better, as are their tonal and output comparisons, so it's a lot easier to pick one based on what you read on the Website, and a lot more likely you'll get what you think you're gonna get.

I like me my Duncans too. The standouts among them (e.g. Seth neck, low output P Rail, PATB-1n, Broadcaster, Vintage Mini Humbucker, i.e. classic Firebird pickup) are real standouts. But DiMarzio has a lot more that appeals to me, across the board, and they present it in a more organized and accurate fashion IME/IMO. Also, special orders are exceptionally easy, and the options almost innumerable.
      Last edited by ItsaBass; 11-10-2020, 08:19 PM.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

1) Pre-B1, a hot tele bridge pickup that isn't overly hot like QP to match a P+90/hb in the neck.

2) Twang King, a clear sounding tele neck pickup. I prefer a tele with P-90/hb in the neck. But when I want a vintage looking tele neck pickup, I won't go with any of Duncan's.

3) Air Zone, Dimarzio's PAF on steroids. This is the pickup when you want A2-like sounding pickup with solid low end.

Comment

Of the ones I've tried/used, I liked the Chopper, Cruiser, Norton... I think that's about it.

I really prefer other brands tbh. Duncan, BKP, Lollar, EMG...
          Originally posted by Myaccount876
          Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

The original X2N Power Plus. These have nickel silver baseplates that make them very clear while also being powerful. The newer X2Ns have brass baseplates and sound muffled and dead, like the amp is sitting behind a big pillow.

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
              The original X2N Power Plus. These have nickel silver baseplates that make them very clear while also being powerful. The newer X2Ns have brass baseplates and sound muffled and dead, like the amp is sitting behind a big pillow.
              Is it possible to swap the baseplate on one of the newer ones without much hassle?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Not sure, man. I’ve never tried, but Dimarzio is pretty infamous for mags and pickups glued together. The old ones are pretty easy to find, used.

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
                  Not sure, man. I’ve never tried, but Dimarzio is pretty infamous for mags and pickups glued together. The old ones are pretty easy to find, used.
                  That's what I figured. It's not a deal breaker to have the brass plate so I'm just going to leave it be. If I wanted to I could always replace it with a D-Activator bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                    Is it possible to swap the baseplate on one of the newer ones without much hassle?

The magnets are glued to the baseplate but you can replace the baseplate's without much trouble. You need to go around the perimeter of the magnet with an xacto knife and then you can slip a mini screwdriver blade underneath and pry them loose. Many people try to grab the magnet with a pliers and that's the wrong approach because the ceramic magnets are brittle and too much surface is glued to the baseplate for that to work. The glue that's used is strong but it's brittle easy to pry off without damaging the magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                      The magnets are glued to the baseplate but you can replace the baseplate's without much trouble. You need to go around the perimeter of the magnet with an xacto knife and then you can slip a mini screwdriver blade underneath and pry them loose. Many people try to grab the magnet with a pliers and that's the wrong approach because the ceramic magnets are brittle and too much surface is glued to the baseplate for that to work. The glue that's used is strong but it's brittle easy to pry off without damaging the magnet.
                      Ok, that sounds reasonable. Any particular vendors for the baseplate? Does Dimarzio sell them?

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                        Ok, that sounds reasonable. Any particular vendors for the baseplate? Does Dimarzio sell them?

I have bought my nickle steel plates from Mojotone or Philadelphia Luthier Supply.

Comment

Ok, cool.

Comment

Virtual PAF (now discontinued) and Virtual P90s are my two faves. Lots of mojo in there. The Vp90 has been in 3 guitars (2 PRS and a Fender Strat) and sounded basically the same. Almost like it has its flavor and tone no matter what. I haven't done enough A\B to know for sure. The Virtual PAF, I still have dreams about my Epi LP with that thing and the neck clean tone I recorded back in 2009. Just gorgeous.

​​​​
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I just recalled, I really love the Fast 2 in the bridge of a Strat if I'm looking for it to really kick you in the pants.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                                I have bought my nickle steel plates from Mojotone or Philadelphia Luthier Supply.
                                Yep. I’ve gotten them from PLS, too.

It’s been a while since I looked and I didn’t realize people were asking $125ish for the old X2N PP. Hell yeah, buy a new baseplate and just be careful with the mag.

Comment

Working...
                                X