couple pickup wiring questions [super switch]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• couple pickup wiring questions [super switch]

i am currently remodding my strat that has neck: SD hot rails | middle: SD duckbucker | bridge: SD lil screamin demon.

all the electronics are pretty worn out on it [pots, jack, etc] so i am replacing them all with cts pots and new oil in paper caps. the 5 way switch looked super cheap [it is/was a crappy korean squier, only body remains at this point] so i was going to get a new one and discovered the super switch. i have been looking around internet for 5 way super switch wiring and stumbled upon this one below [hopefully link works].

so wondering a few things:

the duckbucker is an older one so only 3 leads. does the red go to one of the super switch position 3 posts and the white/bare go to ground and just omit the 3rd post connections from this diagram?

the two humbuckers... i found both diagrams for split and parallel, which would be better with these pickups? i know its kind of subjective, but leaning towards parallel.

so setup i want is
    1. neck series
    2. neck parallel [or split]
    3. middle
    4. bridge parallel [or split]
    5. bridge series

neck to one tone pot, bridge to other tone pot. could i run both neck and middle to same tone pot?

https://guitarelectronics.com/2-humb...me-2-tones-04/

I think you would have to use this diagram as a starting place, ignore the middle green+black wires and ignore that 1/4 section of the swtich, and only have the middle red go to lug 3 (instead of being bridged across lugs 2-3-4) and middle white+bare to ground as you cited. Someone else should check me on that. (A bunch guys on here are really good with reading diagrams, Artie, GuitarDoc, JackTripper, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      I think you would have to use this diagram as a starting place, ignore the middle green+black wires and ignore that 1/4 section of the swtich, and only have the middle red go to lug 3 (instead of being bridged across lugs 2-3-4) and middle white+bare to ground as you cited. Someone else should check me on that. (A bunch guys on here are really good with reading diagrams, Artie, GuitarDoc, JackTripper, etc.)

I looked at the diagram BeauBrummels posted. I agree with his assessment.
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

I did find that diagram as well, but couldn't figure how to omit the middle pickup from position 2/4. So just get rid of the jumpers to 2/4 on the red wire in that diagram (green/black I don't worry about right?)

Also need 2 tone pots. Is that just black wire to tone from each pickup?
        Last edited by prokreat; 11-11-2020, 10:54 PM.

Comment

I'd recommend trying the wiring diagram finder.
          The world's largest selection of free guitar wiring diagrams. Humbucker, Strat, Tele, Bass and more!

It doesn't work perfectly, but I've been able to easily find the diagrams you are looking for. For this, I choose
          Pickup type: strat
          Wiring: guitar
          # of pickups: 3
          Neck: single-coil humbucker
          Middle: single-coil humbucker
          Bridge: single-coil humbucker
          Volumes: 1
          Tones: 2
          Accessory/Pot: none

(Note to Duncan: I have to say, "single-coil humbucker" is kind of an oxymoron. I know what you mean, but it technically doesn't make sense.)

Here's the same diagram with 2 tones.

Comment

ah, i didnt notice the [refine search] option sitting right in front of me to choose my setup, i kept choosing search by type>then long list.

so using that diagram as a basis, i get rid of the jumper on 3/4 on top left of super switch, there is no green/black on my duckbucker so white/bare go to ground and omit the green/black jumper from 2/4 on bottom left. rest should stay as is?

Comment

In that diagram, middle red is going to lug 2 and bridged across 3-4. You need to solder it to lug 3 and leave the rest open. So it's not just leaving off the bridge wires, you have to move it from lug 2 to lug 3 and only lug 3.

Comment

finally ready to wire up this guitar, but not sure if thr SD site diagram is what i am looking for. i was thinking series/parallel/middle/parallel/series... isnt the link above series/split/both/split/series [obvious pole3 noteschange to middle only]?

if i am using the common on the switch. should on neck bridge, red go to ground always? then white go to ground when parallel [2/4]? is a diagram something like this correct? note: all bare wires go to ground with green.

also not sure i need the grounds on left side. the right should push white wire to ground... but i think i am missing red to 2/4 on right had sides.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by prokreat; 12-11-2020, 07:39 PM.

Comment

so i wired this up this morning, i believe the bridge and neck are done correct. due to the new neck being 22 frets from warmoth and extending over the pickguard a tad, i have to do wiring and then put neck on after i put on the pickguard so makes testing this a pain... i just use a metal object on pickups while open and no neck//strings. the middle pickup however doesnt work... well it works, but in this diagram it also makes neck pickup active too. im really not trying to do the diagram posted above since i would rather have series/parallel than series/split... but not sure how to accomplish that and have a middle pickup thats fully independent on the superswitch.

also, i did wire up the tone pots like diagram from SD, but not fully sure they are working properly either. was trying to just use one cap instead of two.

Comment

I am sorry this isn't working. If you post some clear pics, someone might be able to spot something obvious. First, I think we have to find out what is happening, so we can figure out how to get from that point to the one you want.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by prokreat View Post
                      finally ready to wire up this guitar, but not sure if thr SD site diagram is what i am looking for. i was thinking series/parallel/middle/parallel/series... isnt the link above series/split/both/split/series [obvious pole3 noteschange to middle only]?

if i am using the common on the switch. should on neck bridge, red go to ground always? then white go to ground when parallel [2/4]? is a diagram something like this correct? note: all bare wires go to ground with green.

also not sure i need the grounds on left side. the right should push white wire to ground... but i think i am missing red to 2/4 on right had sides.
                      Looks like that drawing permanently wires the neck and bridge to the volume pot, which would make them always on.

Comment

Yeah, I couldnt figure out how to do parallel and series with the SS... Ended up just going with original diagram on SD wiring chart. Sounds great though. So probably for the best anyway. The split probably gives me better tonal variation than parallel.
                        Last edited by prokreat; 12-12-2020, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X