A Pickup like the Tone Zone but Different

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Pickup like the Tone Zone but Different

The Tone Zone was a great fit in a really bright guitar I have. I put another one into a bright Strat recently and like it there too, but the fuzzy harmonics are kind of out of control. They make amp distortion sound more like a fuzz box, which is cool, but it isn’t something I want all the time. The bent steel saddles may be contributing to the harmonics as well. But anyway, are there any pickups with a similar EQ curve but maybe without the dual resonance thing the Tone Zone has? Maybe the Gravity Storm?

The main goal is for my Strat to sound warm and thick—I love how thick lead tones are on even the higher frets with the Tone Zone—though I could probably get by with a bit more treble than the TZ has. Let me know if anything springs to mind for you.

Try the Air Zone?

Comment

try a JB or an AT-1 I would say, Gravity Storm is anything but thick.

I used to have a ToneZone and I think the JB is pretty close although I think I do prefer the ToneZone.

AT-1 is supposed to be close to a Tonezone but with a little less bass but more bite (according to dimarzio forum).

I don't know what "fuzzy harmonics" you are talking about though, are you sure it is wired correctly? Tonezone is a very focused and cutting pickup.

perhaps your strat has 250k pots (they usually do)which make the Tonezone sound dull and dark, your other guitar might have 500k pots which is what it is supposed to be
      Last edited by Reee; 11-13-2020, 12:25 PM.

Comment

By fuzzy harmonics I mean the texture from the harmonic overtones inherent to the pickup, which I assume to be the result of the dual resonance coils the Tone Zone employs. I’ve read before that the bent steel saddles in a Strat also result in a lot of harmonic overtones, so it may just be that the combination of the two are a bit much for me. Maybe installing some block saddles would dial back the harmonics a bit.

I don’t dislike the pickup. In fact, it’s pretty close to being perfect in this guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetClyde99 View Post
          By fuzzy harmonics I mean the texture from the harmonic overtones inherent to the pickup, which I assume to be the result of the dual resonance coils the Tone Zone employs. I’ve read before that the bent steel saddles in a Strat also result in a lot of harmonic overtones, so it may just be that the combination of the two are a bit much for me. Maybe installing some block saddles would dial back the harmonics a bit.

I don’t dislike the pickup. In fact, it’s pretty close to being perfect in this guitar.
          I don't really know what you mean, buy you could check if electronics-wise everything is identical to your other guitar (same volume/tone pot values, same pickup height, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post

I don't really know what you mean, buy you could check if electronics-wise everything is identical to your other guitar (same volume/tone pot values, same pickup height, etc).
            The other guitar (a freakishly bright sounding HH Gibson Les Paul Special), probably does have different pot values than my American Special HSS Strat. The harmonic overtones are definitely apparent in the Gibson as well, just not as overpowering as they are in the Start. Maybe a no-load pot and different saddles would solve my issues.

The dense harmonic content is definitely more noticeable with a lot of gain, which I routinely use, so it may not be something that everyone struggles with, but it’s there. From Dimarzio’s description of the Tone Zone: “Patented dual-resonance coils reproduce more overtones than you’d expect from such a fat-sounding pickup.”

Comment

Air Zone might be a place to start. Dimarzio says it has a similar vibe but with lower output, which may solve your problem. I've had an Air Zone in a couple guitars and it's fat for sure, but nothing has felt out of control.

Also might be worth cranking that pup down as far as it'll go and playing with the guitar volume. Maybe you can get the fatness you want with the guitar volume at 50%, then turn it up to 10 to access the gnarly harmonics which could be cool in some musical contexts.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
              http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

The transition is supposed to be a "better" tone zone.

I have no personal experience though

Comment

Warm and thick... try a Breed. They're now discontinued, but you can find them on Reverb and ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by Toejam View Post
                    Warm and thick... try a Breed. They're now discontinued, but you can find them on Reverb and ebay.
                    dimarzio custom shop still makes them as well if you can't find one!

Comment

I would probably try an AT-1 though, a Dimarzio forum moderator told me the ToneZone and AT-1 are the closest to each other in their catalogue

Comment

+1 on The Breed bridge. Specifically designed for fattening trem-equipped 25½" scale guitars.
                        They've taken down the Breed pages, but here are the specs:
                        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .(T M B)
                        Breed Bridge DP166F 356mV 5 7 8 17.07K Alnico 5
                        Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 11-13-2020, 07:02 PM.
                        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                          +1 on The Breed bridge. Specifically designed for fattening trem-equipped 25½" scale guitars.
                          They've taken down the Breed pages, but here are the specs:
                          . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .(T M B)
                          Breed Bridge DP166F 356mV 5 7 8 17.07K Alnico 5
                          I put a set in my short-scale Dean E'Lite/Cadillac last year and love them. It's also a set neck with TOM/stoptail, but doesn't get muddy at all.

Comment

The Breed is definitely looking promising. Thanks, everyone.

Comment

I was going to say Super Distortion, but if bright is your concern, go with a Super 2
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X