banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which neck pickup to go with Full Shred bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which neck pickup to go with Full Shred bridge?

I have already owned/tried these: Jazz, 59: I like the Jazz and absolutely hate the '59, but I think there might be a Duncan neck I like more than the Jazz.

I need pleasing dynamic cleans without any harshness and maybe a little more mids than the Jazz.

I'm thinking the Pearly Gates neck would be a good choice, thoughts?

A Sentient is similar to the Jazz but also has bump in the mids. That should work well for you.
    Last edited by TVFV; 11-13-2020, 11:58 PM.
    "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Yes, go with the Sentient. Excellent choice.

Comment

The Sentient or Whole Lotta Humbucker have the kind of EQ you want. The Sentient has a little tighter bass, while the WLH is more vintage sounding.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Full Shred neck

Comment

i'm not a fan of the sentient/pegasus, they sound very sterile.

WLH neck sounds interesting.

full shred neck sounds too harsh and thin for a neck pickup imo
            Last edited by Reee; 11-13-2020, 05:21 PM.

Comment

WLH and PG could be good choices then if you'd like a similar normal neck response like the jazz just maybe with more mids. The WLH has some definite mid grit to it while not being harsh and the PG is a little smoother.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

Sentient was my suggestion. Not sterile sounding to me at all.
                The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Sorry if this is dredging up old news, but earlier this year I ordered up (but didn't keep) a Charvel DK24 with a Full Shred bridge and SSL5s in the neck and middle. The SSL5 sounded amazing when lowered down quite a ways... probably the best neck true single coil tone I've ever produced. Still makes me salivate.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                  http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

A Jazz but less harsh and more mids is an Alnico II Pro. Same wind, so you can actually just take the Jazz and swap the magnet rather than buying a whole new pickup. Could also try an A3, A4, or UOA5 in the Jazz; all sit between the A2 and A5 magnet, in slightly different ways.

The Pearly Gates is quite a bit hotter and heavier than the Jazz, and I'd say the high-end is equally as sharp or harsh.

DiMarzio's PAF Pro is a lot like a fuller and smoother Jazz, but without the booming bass of the '59.

I've only used the Sentient in a very bright extended-scale 7-string, but at least in that context I can't tell it apart from the Jazz. If there is any difference it's not enough to justify replacing one with the other.

Comment

Screamin' Demon? Paired with the Full Shred it may be pretty cool-Both have a pretty similar EQ and are also similar in output

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                        Full Shred neck
                        This.
                        2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
                        2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
                        2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

Sentient from my own experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd say Sentient too. Not sterile at all to me. If you're willing to step outside the box a bit, the Black Winter neck might be a good choice too. Plenty of mids, no harshness, articulate, and splits very well.

Comment

I love the PG - but I don't think it is your pickup.

In terms of EQ, they slide from a scooped 59 to the FS: More treble, less bass: 59, PG, Demon, FS

A full Shred neck is the obvious choice, but I defer to the Sentient suggesters on that.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X