Forgot how amazing JB & 59 are

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgot how amazing JB & 59 are

Was looking for a change from my Les Pauls Classic 57 set, they sound pretty good but felt could do with a set that cut through a band mix a little better in that particular guitar (2013 Les Paul Classic). My go to Les Paul sets are normally Pearly Gates or Whole Lotta Humbuckers. Was going to save for a WLH set as I like their clarity and juicy tone, but thought I’d try an old early 90s JB and more recent 59 that I already have. Sounded good at home and had a chance to play with the band earlier this week and they fit perfectly in the mix with my Marshall JVM. Forgot how amazing the JB/59 pickup combination can be in the right guitar. They just sounded right, and covered all kinds of ground in our cover band from funk to classic rock, alternative rock and metal.

I hear mixed things about JB being icepick or honky mids and 59s boomy in a Les Paul, but they sound great and balanced in that guitar. The JB is the first Duncan pickup I bought in the early 90s and is almost 30 years old and has a faded JBL sticker on the bottom. Not sure if the age has mellowed the tone any, but has a thick tone with sizzling highs and a really nice clarity for leads that cut through the mix nicely. Just thought I’d share since some of seymour’s more classic models really did the trick in this guitar.
    Last edited by JimmyO; 11-14-2020, 11:13 PM.

I went for a '59 set in one of my my Gibson Les Paul's and that was just a bit boomy on the neck. An A4 cured that, but I'm confident that could be attributed to the specific LP as opposed to the '59.
    I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Unpotted 59's are my favorite pickups in my guitars and when I need a hot bridge pickup the Ant JB covers it all for me .
      That combo works the best for me with humbuckers from blues to full blown rock n roll .
      Last edited by JB6464; 11-15-2020, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Also , I really don't under stand why SD won't make an Antiquity set with the 59's with RCA5 magnets because they are so popular and vintage sounding in a different way than the A2 Ants .
        Are you reading this S.D.

Comment

I like a JB / 59 pair better than the JB Jazz
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by JB6464 View Post
            Also , I really don't under stand why SD won't make an Antiquity set with the 59's with RCA5 magnets because they are so popular and vintage sounding in a different way than the A2 Ants .
            Are you reading this S.D.
            They can absolutely build that for you.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

They can absolutely build that for you.
              Do you know if the CS is open for special orders now during the Covid situation ?
              I tried calling last week and could'nt get through .

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                I like a JB / 59 pair better than the JB Jazz
                In this Les Paul that’s the case. I do like the jazz also though. Had a JB/59 that came stock in an alder ESP Mii with a Floyd rose and in that guitar the Jazz paired better with the JBs EQ and texture. To me in that guitar a JB was sounding drier and mids pushed with the 59 more liquid and flutey so contrasted a bit, but the jazz paired great with the JB and really sounds tight and melodic for 80s shredding. I think of the jazz like a violin and the 59 more like like a cello if that makes any sense.

So I have JB/59 in the Les Paul and JB/Jazz in the ESP. No right or wrong, it really depends on individual guitars, had a JB/59 in an old lawsuit Les Paul copy and in that guitar I think I prefer the WLHs.

On a side note my ESP horizon came stock with the Pegasus and Sentient, and they are awesome for rock or metal. The reason I mention is the Sentient seems like somewhere between the 59 and Jazz, really clear and tight but also juicy and soulful too for soloing. Not really a vintage pickup but I really like it.

Comment

Originally posted by JB6464 View Post

Do you know if the CS is open for special orders now during the Covid situation ?
                  I tried calling last week and could'nt get through .
                  Try email. I got the same thing when I called a month ago, then emailed and got a response saying they're not taking new orders.
                  The things that you wanted
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                  X